Friday, February 18

Training Camp: Victoria, BC (base)

After putting a stubborn bout of bronchitis behind me, I began preparation for 2011 season the last week of December. Initially I’d hoped to use some of the early Island Race Series events to facilitate my fitness/motivation, but an attack of the flu and a recent cold put my inaugural race as a Master on hold. Undoubtedly, but not for certain my string of bad health is in part due to the weather, and... new for me, having two (very social) young children.

Fast forward a few weeks, and not only have I managed to achieve some consistency in my running, but this weekend I hope to toe the line at the Hatley Castle 8k (otherwise known as the home of the X-men). With my main goal in May, I’ve yet to do any speed work instead following a prescribed Lydiard approach and trying to keep my running at an aerobic level… easier said than done when you’re out of shape. And so, throughout January and most of this month I’ve been following this schedule:

Monday: 45’-60‘ easy fartlek
Tuesday: 60’-75’ aerobic
Wednesday: 45’ w/ 10xstrides
Thursday: 60’-75’ aerobic
Friday: 75’ w/ 50’ light tempo
Saturday: Day off
Sunday: 90’-120’ aerobic

Last, but certainly not least, I came across this earlier today (it brought a smile to my face), “think positive: I fell down the stairs what did I say, damn I got down those stairs fast”.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Mike,

Hope all is well now. Have a great first race of the season, X-Man. Should do a pint sometime and chat about your Lydiard training!

Chris

MB said...

keep at it!