Wednesday, May 5

Then that happened

It amazes me the capacity of one particular sense to completely capture a moment. The sight of a leaf lazily floating in front of your face on a cool autumn morning. The pungent smell of urine and nerves as you stand impatiently waiting for the start of a race. And then there was yesterday.


Work has been particularly busy of late and yesterday was no exception. When not in meetings with executive, I was left to deal with the pesky auditors, finalize our 2010/11 budget and prepare for estimates (now delayed). Surprisingly, or as luck would have it I managed to accomplish much of what I had intended. Rare at best.


With the day’s work complete and an accompanying sense of satisfaction spread across my face, I left the office turning left and running over the Gorge trestle. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been unsuccessful in finding a particular video, Sweet Home Alabama (you needn’t ask). With my options dwindling, I put my faith in a truly unique shop in the heart of Cook Street Village… and was rewarded.


I didn’t stop here. After a jaunt on Sunday, I noticed that a pair of shorts were worn through and so decided to swing by Frontrunners on the way home to pick up a couple new pairs. Again I was triumphant, and as I ran steadily down Quadra for home I couldn’t help but reflect on how truly productive the day had been.

Nearing home, I spotted an extended stretch of grass alongside the road and opted for the forgiving grassland. This is not out of routine figuring that when you run as much as we, a few precious steps on the soft ground can be a difference maker. What I remember next is the sound of uncooked linguine snapping, the sharp cracks in quick succession still echo in my head. Why me, not now, please.


And so, after limping home and participating in the usual dinner/bedtime routines and watching previously mentioned movie, my allotted time for denial had passed. I grabbed the car keys, my Blackberry and a book off the shelf, and then proceeded to carefully drive myself to the hospital only to confirm I have a torn anterior talo-fibular ligament (4-6 weeks). Bugger.


Training: steady 58:52

5 comments:

Thomas said...

Ouch!

Make the best of it and see it as a baby break ...

Love2Run said...

I can't believe it! Good luck comes in 3's, so I guess you must have used up all your good luck today. We need to get you off the DL list for longer than a week of two.

Chris said...

Le Crapage

Grellan said...

Bugger indeed! What can I say, other than 4 to 6 weeks is better than 4 to 6 months. Bugger!

Michael E. Price said...

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope your recovery is quick. I've just started my own running blog and have enjoyed reading yours as inspiration.