Tuesday, July 10

Broken... but not beat

Sorry for the delay in writing, and I can't seem to get the "title" option to work... what is with that? Okay, NOW it works, anywho...

I'm going to be brief for reasons that will present themselves shortly. Last weekend was my stag, I loved every minute of it. Friday started with an easy jog, a great 3-hour ride, brunch, disc golf dinner and surprisingly enough we ended up atop Mt. Washington as my friends had rented a chalet for the w/e.

Saturday we mountain biked, downhill mountain biked... until then I've never downhill mountain biked. I loved it. But, unfortunately my ego and/or vanity got the best of me as I tried to show off for a friend, over cooked a berm "way too fast", got shot out and then... B-A-M! I was on the deck, my head ringing, hands cut and my left arm sore (but not so sore that I stopped riding).

Alas, when I returned home Sunday evening Joe and I stopped by the emergency ward and yes, I broke my left radial head (near the elbow). Ummf! To make matters worse Victoria is in the midst of a heatwave, it is 33C and counting (hot for us). Luckily, the doctor is an acquaintance who at one time raced mountain bikes professionally and he only laughed when he saw me. He assured me that even if I needed a cast for a long time (which I hope I don't), that he would cut it off for the wedding (in two weeks... as expecting, and hoped, Ally has been very understanding and only questioned why I did something so cliche).

Training: none (I can't wait)!

5 comments:

Lawrence said...

Ouch! Now that is bad luck. Doing it out on the stag is a bit of a cliche for sure, but....at least you didn't break a leg!

Thomas said...

You seem to be rather relaxed about it. Can it be that the upcoming wedding has a soothing influence on you? Anyway, get better soon.

Love2Run said...

LOL! Oops, sorry but couldn't help myself there. Just had an image of you in your tux with a cast. Glad to hear it's not going to interfere with the wedding. Take care.

Mike said...

Tough break.

I'm so sorry, but someone had to write it. This will make a good story for the kids someday.

I have the same issue with the title, and my workaround is "previewing" the post and adding it there.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Over here in the UK we would call you a 'proper plonker'!! Hope you are fixed soon. Chris