Tuesday, March 10

Game On

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Damn it was cold out there this evening, a person in their right mind might say too cold to complete a workout… and definitely not warm enough for blue Saucony shorts. I stared blankly at the thermometer once I’d returned home, -1C. I think it was broken.

The session called for 45’ of tempo, a leisurely 30’ of ME to warm-up with followed promptly by 15’ of HME.

I left the office horribly underdressed but wearing more than one would normally sport in mid-March. After bouncing around for 20’, I started into the marathon effort, rolling along Maplewood and down the Blenkinsop Valley. Keeping in mind the run on Sunday, I was pleased at how comfortable I felt, but also recognizing the effect artic air can have on ones senses. Still, whether it was an imagined wind or the rate at which I traveled it wasn’t until beginning the HME that I really began to feel warm.

During my cold down, as I traversed across the playing field at Beckwith Park, it dawned on me at just how … dare I say, good I felt. In an instant, I was taken back to my days of street hockey, waiting impatiently as a car slowly rolled along before you could once again resume play. I was filled with that same enthusiasm and anticipation this evening.

The week ahead looks good, more of the same meat and potatoes and with yet another scheduled day off this Friday. With the volume staying roughly the same and more planned rest, I almost feel like I’m cheating the system.

Here’s to the week ahead…

Training:
Monday: day off/core (scheduled)
Tuesday: 1:24:19 with 45’ tempo

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Is it the brighter days or the (slightly) warmer temperatures of March that make your blog entries sound a lot more upbeat than a few weeks ago?

Cliff said...

Hi Michael,

Not sure about your end but it looks like spring is finally and coming around the corner.

Michael said...

I don't know about the warmer weather but the brighter days have helped! That and a) putting my last half marathon behind me, b) my knee healing, and c) Isla getting more sleep. I'm feeling better about my training, thanks!

Anonymous said...

It is good to see things are coming together for you:)