Sunday, February 22

Boston Marathon (8-weeks out)

“I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with the roughest courage. When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, but the solidest thing we know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you remember that day you hopped out of bed, only to hear that fateful melody which would then spin through your head like a skipping 45? And just like the idea you had in 5th grade, when you placed a tack on your friends chair, it seemed good at the time.

Not willing to leave it to fate, I chose my tune as I stepped out the door on Sunday morning. A song written in reference to Salford, England, which paints an evocative yet ultimately bitter picture of industrial Northern England. But for me, this tune speaks of dreams, Guinness and lasting friendship.

And so it was that as I traced my way up Mt. Tolmie, through my alma mater and into the hills of Ten Mile Point, that I once again, “met my love by the gas works wall, dreamed a dream by the old canal, kissed a girl by the factory wall…”.

If it wasn’t for my right knee I’d be telling you how there is a fire burning inside me that can only be consumed by the trial of miles. In its place, I’m continuing to deal with the effects from last Saturday’s crack on my knee. All this when Jon said the next couple of weeks are crucial. With those words ringing in my ears, I booked a physiotherapy appointment for tomorrow and another massage for Wednesday.

Until later…

Training:
Thursday: steady 1:00:06

Friday: 54:00 with 2x8x30” (30”/3’)
Saturday: day off (scheduled)

Sunday: easy/steady 2:34:48

Weekly mileage: 6h19’28”, +/- 88k or 55 miles

1 comment:

Thomas said...

The next few weeks may well be crucial for Boston, but your knee needs to be sorted out first.

A fire burning inside you is great. In fact, it's essential. Good Luck!