Sunday, July 26

Royal Victoria Marathon (12-weeks out)

I suppose an added day off on what was a scheduled recovery week isn’t the worst scenario to have happened, particularly when I was able to squeeze in a solid workout and a long run. Still, for someone who likes to follow a plan... Saturday’s doughnut stinks.

.

On a weekend where Ally was away at a hen party, I definitely could’ve used an extra pair of hands. On Friday, an old varsity friend and his wife were out visiting from the UK (Bristol), and on Saturday afternoon Isla and I had a wedding to attend. These two events alongside walks in the park and playing on the swings made for two very busy but extremely enjoyable days.

.

Amongst all the socializing and activity, I was able to sneak in a run. On Sunday morning, after the wee one woke up from her first nap (what a life, two naps/day) I drove up the peninsula and coerced her grandfather into spending some quality time with his granddaughter. Recognizing the opportune moment, I didn’t dawdle and out the door.

.

With all the exceptionally hot weather we’ve been having, Victoria experienced a very unusual thunderstorm on Saturday evening. That evening, after returning from the wedding and with Isla sound asleep, I sat out on our back porch I nursed a beer while enjoying the lightshow. I then went to bed and didn’t pay the storm any more thought. That was until I was running through a layer of thick humid air that blanketed the ground the following day. The conditions remaindered me of my one experience of running on a treadmill… inside a sauna. It was hot.


The run itself was great. I eased into the first few miles but after about twenty minutes I began to pick up the pace, holding a steady consistent clip as I ran to Island View Beach, before returning through the Saanich farmlands and circling back home. I was thoroughly drenched.

.

Week 12 is in the books, and apart from a missed 70’ cruise, I’m happy. My achilles has settled down (knock, knock) and my energy level is decent. Not shabby at all.

.

Training:

Saturday: day off (unscheduled)

Sunday: steady 1:30:17

.

Weekly mileage: 4h55’58”, +/- 69k or 43 miles

No comments: