Saturday, April 18

Things that make you go hmmm...

Whenever I’ve asked someone about the Newton hills people have tended to reply that they’re nothing to worry about. After seeing them first hand today I would tend to disagree, the hills are very much something to worry about.

Early this afternoon Mike & Thomas were kind enough to battle their way through traffic and pick me up in town, this was no small feat given that many of the roads here have been closed. After brief introductions, Mike drove us out east to Hopkinton so that we could have a look at the start before driving the course.

The downhills at the beginning, Wellesley and Brookline are certainly something, but what I found most striking were the uphills. For some reason, call it naivety, I assumed I would be able to roll over the hills as long as I stayed strong and kept my turnover steady. But the ups at 16, 18, 19 and 20 are much more significant than I imagined. Still, it’s not like I’m the only one who has to run these hills. I haven’t run a challenging road course like this before and the race has taken on a new dimension. I’m really looking forward to the challenge.

After a look at the course we headed off to meet Mark and his family before joining them for a lovely meal. Following in their footsteps for over two years, it was finally great being able to meet everyone. Events like this go a long way in celebrating what’s right with the world.

All the best on Monday lads. If I don’t see you at the finish know that I’ll be raising a pint in your honour later that evening!

Training: easy 21:32 with 5xstrides

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

What no ice cream? You have admirable resistance to temptation ;-) Have a great race! Thomas and I both have high hopes for you!

Mike said...

Fantastic that all you guys were able to get together! It's like collecting "reward points" for all that typing you do on your blog : )

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

Have a fantastic race! Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Mike R

Thomas said...

Me and Mike discussed you chances and we're both quietly confident about your race tomorrow.

It was great to meet you, and your family, however short that was. All the best for tomorrow, and don't lose any sleep worrying about those hills.