Tuesday, November 28

Brass Monkey, That Funky Monkey

I did something this morning that I haven’t done since the spring of 1997 and something that while living in Victoria I thought I’d never do again, I ran on a treadmill. Given the current inclement weather and slippery roads conditions, I was warned to be careful.

“The risks of stressing muscles or having a fall this close to the race are just too high. You should use a treadmill for the next few days. Fortunately, the runs will be short.”

With yesterday a scheduled day off, I was to run 45’ today. Prior to going to bed last night, I went online and checked the schedule for the YMCA, they opened at 5:30. Perfect.

I’m not sure of the exact point at which the monkey’s tails becomes at risk of freezing, but as I stepped outside this morning at 5:28 a.m. on my way downtown it was bitterly cold and the wind didn’t help.

Bundled up, I tentatively made my way down the middle of the street. This wasn’t too bad, it was cold and the wind brisk but… whooah. Alright then, to the Y it is. It took me 6’ to get there, paid the nice man at the front desk and then made my way upstairs. Disrobed, pressed start and jumped on. I felt I was going reasonably quick (8.2) given my HR so I increased the elevation (1.5) and settled into a very, very boring groove for a long 35’. I looked longingly outside… across the road… past the old church, I wished I was out there, running.

Total time today was 45:03, AHR 130, AHR while on the treadmill 139.

No comments: