Sunday, November 19

The Wind at Your Back (and in Your Face)

The good news is we’re to receive merely 1-3mm of rain this morning, Sunday morning. The bad news is I’m racing on the summit of a local mountain and there is a WIND WARNING for Greater Victoria.

I can hear Annie Lennox now, “Here comes the rain again, raining in my head like a tragedy…”, you know the song.

Okay, just like the guy next to me I could use a little help a times, and a stiff wind at my back makes me feel like I’m flying. Trouble is, when you’re not running a point to point (not to be confused with a pint to pint, thanks RC) route, I’ve only described half the battle, and there exists… the other half, the back half. And it turns out that Mother Nature tends to the fickle side: a headwind slows you down more than a tailwind speeds you up.

“Studies have determined that a 10 mph tailwind will nudge you ahead about 5 percent faster, while a 10 mph headwind slows you down by about 8 percent.” My strategy then, lean into the wind, and stay as relaxed as possible… conserve energy. And there's always drafting.

I'd best finish my coffee and prepare to leave (have to hit the bank on the way out there, forgot to register).

Until later then...

1 comment:

rumon said...

"pint to point"

I'm going to guess that was a typo, but it got the wheels turning...

Start a run with a pint, then head somewhere.

Better still would be the point-to-pint run: Start at your house, run to the pub (could also be the point-to-pint-to-point, but I think I'd lean towards ending with the pint(s)).

Then of course there's the glorious pint-to-pint, involving no running at all.

Hope to have one of those last sessions with you soon. Looking forward to the race report from today.