Sunday, November 19

Evening Run 11/19/06

Just returned from a delicious Sunday dinner at the little sisters. Who would’ve thought salmon and prosciutto would make a good such an agreeable pairing? I didn’t, but why would I ever doubt my sister.

On the way home from the race, and with my legs feeling… tender, I decided to stop in at London Drugs and buy myself some Epsom salts. The jury, my jury, is still out on the benefits of the salt bath but I’m not prepared to forego any potential benefits just yet. Lucky for both of us I thought I’d do a little investigative research. Previously unknown to me, studies show that benefits from the major components of Epsom Salt may:

Magnesium:
Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
Help muscles and nerves function properly (nice)
Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes (didn’t know I had that many)
Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
Make insulin more effective
Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps (okay, now we’re getting somewhere, I like this one)
Improve oxygen use

Sulfates:
Flush toxins
Improve absorption of nutrients (does that imply vitamin G would be better absorbed while in the bath?)
Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

After the bath then, and prior to dinner, I laced up my reserve shoes and headed back out the door. I bee lined for the waterfront to take advantage of the grass along the coast. Looped around Clover Point, said hello to Terry as I skirted the edge of BHP (it was dark) and slowly retraced my steps home. It was a pleasant night and a relaxing way to end the day; the stars shining, a warm (really) breeze coming off the water and Simon & Garfunkel playing in my ear. The legs were feeling surprisingly good, really, who would’ve guessed. At one point I even enjoyed the company of a young Great Dane as he bounded haphazardly beside me, tongue wagging.

39:59 easy, AHR not applicable (it was easy and I was supposed to shake out the legs).

No comments: