Saturday, November 25

Seven Days and Counting

The run today was pretty straight forward, 20’ easy, 15’ at marathon pace/effort followed by a 10’ cool down. After a leisurely morning, one cup of coffee, Saturday’s Sudoku and 20’ of stretching, I opened the door and was greeted to an arctic air. Apparently it was +1C, with 25km/h SE winds making it feel like -1C. After living in Yellowknife for seven years it reminded me of winter; I was loving it.

I jogged down Linden to the water, turned right along Dallas toward Beacon Hill for a leisurely loop of the park (could’ve sworn I saw a fast moving Finn in the woods, perhaps an apparition). I noticed my HR was elevated on each rise, ouch, but I’m sure that not getting to bed until 2:30 a.m. didn’t play in my favour. After reaching the start of the mile loop I hit lap and quickly settled into my groove:

1st mile, 5:58, AHR 153, MAX 159
2nd mile, 5:57, AHR 158, MAX 161
Last 3’, 3:01, AHR 159, MAX 161

I definitely didn’t feel spry and was happy not to be racing Sacramento today. That said, I was pleased to see that I found my pace with relative ease (unlike a few weeks back where I opened in a 5:40). The total running time today was 46:33, AHR 143, MAX 161.

After the run Jim, Ally & I headed out to Thetis to watch the 22nd Annual Harriers Gunner Shaw Memorial Cross Country Classic.

Prior to the race start I was able to catch up with a few old friends, the infamous Padraig McCluskey currently completing his residency here in town and Alex Coffin, former Manager of the Running Room, visiting this weekend from the Maritimes. Alex ran the Marathon by the Sea in Saint John N.B., August 13th of this year.

Considering the reputation and history of today’s event the weather didn’t disappoint as it was cool, threatening to snow, and the puddles were overflowing. According to one friend who stepped off the beaten path, the puddles were deep enough to have her swimming, nice one Claire. It was great fun being able to cheer on one’s friends… congratulations Rumon, Larry, Brad, Alex and everyone else participating.

No comments: