Wednesday, November 29

Searching for 10.0 +

If I keep this up for an additional 28 days to the passer-by it may seem a habit, or conceivably a vice (it’s a matter of perspective isn’t it). Today was my last workout, and it was to be short and sweet. The plan was to sharpen the legs, get them turning over, but unfortunately I wasn’t going out on the roads:

20' wup, workout at 1% grade: mile (11 mph), 2' jog, 1/2 mile (11.4 mph), 2' jog, mile (11 mph), 10' wdn

Towards the end of yesterday’s workout I played with the treadmill, I was curious to see how fast I could go… it could go. Regrettably all the treadmills at the YMCA are capped at 10.0 (6’ mile pace). Bugger. After some research, I discovered that several of recreation centres have treadmills capable of going 5'/mile pace. Commonwealth (about 5), Henderson (2), Gordon Head (2), Cedar Hill (2) but as a rule prohibit intervals, Crystal Pool (1) busted as of last week and Oak Bay (about 4). I planned to go Recreation Oak Bay (ROB).

I had never been to ROB in the morning (5:48 a.m.), having to wait at the bottom of the stairs with 15 of my closest early morning enthusiasts. Much like yesterday, made my way upstairs, disrobed, pressed start and jumped on. There were at least four of us, our reflections cast out over the road almost teasing me. Come on, I dare you. I felt like an ethereal spirit, my face undistinguishable, just the clip of feet holding me to this world. With detached enjoyment I started the workout; there was no sense of speed, no wind in my face, just the ceaseless whir of the machine. The exercise came and went.

When I left the building I looked back over my shoulder, there was a line of people running and going nowhere, conceivably a nightmare, but in amongst them there was a space, one treadmill was idle. I was glad to be finished. I pulled my toque down further and turned back around.

P.s. Watched Saint Ralph last night (again), a fantastically inspirational movie! There is no doubt that I’m in great shape and should I race as well as I’ve been training… it is pretty reassuring to know that you really don't need to do anything more spectacular than you have been doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful collection of words there Mr. Lord…love it…Keep it up. Good luck in Sacramento!

Anonymous said...

Dude, it's gettin' close. You're gonna rock it. Bart says so. I checked out the renovated Esquimalt Rec Centre looking for a decent dreadmill. I was surprised to find a couple of brand new, space age units that go up to 13.8 mph (4:21/mile, 65"/400m). Just a few blocks away from me so I'm a happy camper.

Michael said...

Wow, 13.8 mph, that would leave me with my chin on the floor after being spat out the back. I had enough trouble trying to stay on this morning when cooking along at 11.4 mph. Running fast on a treadmill seemed to prohibit top end, perhaps it was for the best. I’ll try writing again when I’m in Sacramento, supposed to leave tomorrow morning on the 6:00 a.m. flight. Thanks for the encouragement!

Until later… ciao!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Mike!
we'll have dinner when you and Ally get back
xoxo Wuzz