Monday, November 20

Rest and Recovery

Well, after volunteering to baby-sit for a good friend this evening I received a phone call just after getting home to find out that my services were no longer required. It turns out that Joe wasn’t feeling well and as a result, we, are going to the symphony! Karma, providence, fortune… what goes around comes around, thanks Joe.

“What does going to the symphony have to do with running?”

Nothing specifically, but today, like the previous ten Mondays, is a day off, i.e., no running. Therefore, attending the symphony this evening will only aid in my rest and recovery (both physical and mental). It was soon after completing my first Ironman in 1995 that I fully comprehended the benefits of proper recovery. There was no coincidence in my trying to get a leg up on training for the subsequent year (two weeks after finishing Ironman Canada) and being diagnosed with mono the following week. We live and learn.

Proper recovery is crucial in allowing your body to absorb the work you’ve been putting in. Not only did I have a scheduled day off to aid in my post race recovery, I also had an appointment with my witchdoctor. Janet works as a massage therapist at James Bay Chiropractic & Massage and saved me from what I thought might become a huge setback while I was training for Ottawa earlier this year. Since then, and as the volume of running increases, I’ve been scheduling regular sessions (it also helps to compensate for my lack of stretching). Don’t get me wrong, Janet’s a wonderful woman but the treatment she imparts doesn’t leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling (not at least until she stops). Most sessions involve her laughing, perhaps at me, while I squirm face down trying to reposition myself so that she cannot reach what ever body part she is working. After 45 minutes today, my shins and right gluteus were singing her praises.

The previous week was pretty solid, 7h17 (approximately 63 miles) of running, just over 70% of my maximum volume, with 12% quality, e.g., races, intervals, hills. Tomorrow, irun.

4 comments:

dj said...

Mike,
in case i don't see you before you leave, congrats on all the hard work and all the best in sacramento. look forward to hearing about it when you return,
dj

Michael said...

Thanks, it’s all down hill from here to the finish line in Sacramento. I just need to make sure I can settle down my gluteus and I’ll be flying.

Terry Nielsen said...

Hi Mike,

u dont know me but we have a mutual friend, Jon Faris, and I have lost a few races to you by seconds in the Island Series.

Did u just start this blog or am I technically challenged? I was looking for your lead up training and stories.

Good luck in Sacramento. I look forward to your race report. Please dont spare any detail!

Michael said...

Hi Terry,

Yeah, I vaguely remember you and although I reserve judgment on the status of your technical ability take comfort in the fact that I only started this blog last Friday. I had been thinking about it chronicling my stories for a while, following the lead of a good friend (see the Finn Files) but unfortunately didn’t start until recently.

I’ve been accepted into the Boston Marathon and have sent my application in for London. If there is interest (conceivably... six hits daily) I’ll probably continue with the writing. Before you ask, I won’t do both London and Boston but wanted to hedge my bets (if given the opportunity I’ll be running the streets of old Londiniensium next April).

Thanks for the best wishes.