Wednesday, November 22

Yasso 800


The workout this evening: 20' warm up, 10x800m with 2' rest run at 5-10k effort, 20' warm down. This was my last hard session and I was instructed to “train, don't race, but run hard”. I wasn’t quite sure what that meant but figured I’d leave the contemplation to the track.

I was very excited when I first saw this workout, I love 800s.

After one of my training partners pulled the plug to attend a hair show (don’t ask, he better have a good reason) I sent an email out looking for company. A friend,
Brad, replied informing me that he couldn’t make it but pointed out that I was doing the Yasso 800s. Wait a minute; this workout had a name… my excitement quickly turned to apprehension. I only know one named workout and it is spoken by better runners then I with hushed reverence (The Michigan). What was I getting myself into?

I was dropped off early at the track with my flats in hand. Running unaccompanied wasn’t to be as shortly after I arrived Judith pulled up and I was also pleasantly surprised to see a Mr.
Rumon Carter, the man himself pull in (the buoys are back in town).

We jogged around Ring Road twice to warm up, changed into our flats, and stretched the legs striding up and down the back stretch. We discussed strategy for a bit, Rumon was going to lead Judith, and then toed the line. I had initially considered running 2:44 to 2:40, but after reading up on Yasso I thought I’d see how the body found the first quarter and then adjust accordingly. This was supposed to help predict my marathon right?

After opening in a 0:36 200, I could hearing Rumon calling at me to pace my self. A furtive grin crept over my face, it was going to be one of those nights and I was to love every stride. I opened in a 2:36 and decided to set the bar there. I was amazed how effortless the first four were, scarcely breathing hard and my HR dropping below 130 in a few paces. It was after the 5th one that I was conscious that it was taking me 50m to recover… so this is how it works. The last three were fantastic, I felt like I was in the closing stretches of my own race. I was intently aware of my surroundings, my breathing, the one dark puddle at the north end of the track, the breeze hitting your face before turning in front of the stands… the last few strides. The scores (time, AHR, MAX):

1 2:36 (162, 169)
2 2:35 (161, 169)
3 2:35 (162, 169)
4 2:36 (162, 170)
5 2:35 (163, 170)
6 2:34 (160, 171)
7 2:33 (163, 172)
8 2:33 (164, 171)
9 2:33 (163, 171)
10 2:30 (163, 172)

I couldn’t have had a better workout, on a more enjoyable fall evening, or with better friends.
My Average Time for the 800s: 2:34

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic workout, Liam! Let the excitement build slowly over the next 10 days ... you'll be ready to roll!

Anonymous said...

Icky,

Do you know about the Yasso 800s? -in case you don't...

Bart Yasso claimed that when he ran 10 x 800s in X time, he added zeros and that is what he would run his marathon in. He said it works for the 2:10:00 marathoner right down to the 4+ hr level.

So your 2:34 avg means you can run 2:34:00 marathon, providing you have been a good boy with the long runs.

And to think you found it to be fairly easy ending on a 2:30...Yasso only ran 8 (cheated)...

Yeah baby!

Chris

tre said...

ML
Sorry i missed it. Thanks for the invite, too, but the way i've been going lately (not at all), my track-hating legs would've been screaming for days.
That, and I can't let Carter run away from me anymore (it's happened too many times in the past).
Sounds like you're ready to go...kill'er
tre

Unknown said...

Well done Liam! A great workout. I will keep you in mind as I hit the fuddle duddle puddle today.