Monday, June 25

1-2-3, 1-2-3...

Yesterday's trot was one of the better runs in a while and I'm starting to notice a pattern (Thetis). Jim, Trevor and I went out to the lake for a thoroughly enjoyable, hilly... and muddy jaunt out on the trails. I think I mentioned it last week, but after logging so many miles on the roads this spring, it has been a welcome change to tread the soft earth. I love trail running, I'd forgotten what I missed, the constantly changing your rhythm, the fact that on occasion your heart is in your throat and your still running easy. And, the hills, I usually curse them for the first few weeks but begrudgingly know that I'll be better for it in a months time. The mud, the sweat and the wilderness; it always amazes me how 20' on the trails seems like 40' on the road.

After looking back at my week, I'm happy with the consistency and with my constant desire to get back out there (where ever that is). I'm planning on another easy week with moderate base miles and then next week, if all goes well, I'm going to reintroduce some intensity back into the program.

With our wedding a little over a month away (Ally could tell you the exact number of days) we started taking dance lessons... the Venetian Waltz. Being an accountant, and possessing a love of numbers, last weeks introduction was a joke. I left feeling like Patrick Swayze or Fred Astaire, wondering what all the fuss was about? But no, tonight we had Tess, and lin ess time then it takes me to cover 3000m my head was swarming with patterns, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, finish the box, side, back step, I'm even embarrassed to admit I learnt a move called... the twinkles? I'm going to stop here.

Training:
Monday: easy 41:55 with 6x 20” strides
Tuesday: steady 1:16:47
Wednesday: 59:46 with 6x hills strong
Thursday: easy 41:12
Friday: easy 29:56 with 6x strides
Saturday: easy 1:32:17
Sunday: 1:28:05

Today, Monday: 1h10 waltz lessons

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Michael,

Thanks for the reminder..focus on the ball...

I think I am going to stick with triathlon :)..Waltz dancing is way out of my leauge ;D

Congrats on your wedding...

Chris said...

TWINKLETOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love2Run said...

Hee hee! That's good. I was expecting some kind of new workout like 1, 2, 3 minutes hard with rest breaks etc. Naw ;-) Have fun getting ready for the wedding. And congratulations if I haven't already said so.