Monday, December 11

Bob Geldof, I Do Like Mondays

As twilight came and went I did something today I haven’t done in three months. I’m sure if I carefully scoured the pages of my training log I’d uncover that I actually haven’t done it for many more months however I’ll leave the log alone on the kitchen table.

Unlike Bob Geldof and the Boomtown Rats, I do like Monday’s, or at least this Monday, today.

Why?

It’s simple, straightforward… I was going to run.

Today was a break from routine, a change of pace and I was set on taking advantage of the occasion. Once home from work I hurriedly changed, slipped on my well aired Asics 2110s, grabbed Bruce from my desk and headed out-of-doors. Like yesterday, I performed a few calisthenics down the covered driveway and then was off into the wind and rain.

I took advantage of the fading daylight and skirted Beacon Hill, ran passed Terry touching his left shoe out of admiration and good fortune and lengthened out my stride along Dallas. Perhaps it was, “… chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin out over the line” that triggered my quickened pace but I didn’t object. For the first time since the race I felt almost smooth. On any other night I would’ve called them strides but given the conditions tonight I dropped a few squalls, with the wind and rain at my back they gave me the boost I needed and it the felt fantastic.

The numbers (35:50, AHR 134 (72%), 3x squalls) don’t look striking on their own but given my recent training I’m happily surprised at the way my body is responding, and more importantly contentedly aware of my hunger.

No comments: