Friday, December 1

What Ever Happened to Old School Chocolate?

I managed to have a great sleep last night, eight hours of uninterrupted silence, fantastic. After breakfast, Ally & I walked around "Old Town" Sacramento, imagine Government Street with wooden boardwalks (but filled with more knickknack shops then I cared to see). Ally humoured me and we did check out an old military museum and met a very friendly 85 year old retired Lieutenant Colonel, he was full of stories. I would've loved to have shared a drink with him.

After lunch, and a restful nap, I figured I'd head out for today's workout. I grabbed the schedule, "20 with 5x strides". "Twenty minutes", who runs twenty minutes? I was reminded by Ally that she runs twenty minutes, s-o-r-r-y! I changed, headed down the elevator and outside. After running on treadmills the last three days I was very excited to hit the trails... no trails. All wasn't lost, I found a bike path that started feet from the hotel and ran along a river. For those of you familiar with Calgary imagine the Bow River, it was sunny, uncrowded and quiet...nice. The weather here has been perfect, today felt like Victoria in the late spring.

Soon after I started the run I approached a group of teenagers, when passing one of the girls yelled, "No one is chasing you"! I smiled and ignored her only to have her yell again, "I'll give you something to run for", after which she proceed to try and catch me...

After dropping said crazed girl, I turned around in what felt like seconds and decided to do a few strides on the way back. The legs felt good, minus the ubiquitous aches and pains. What do you expect? What I was excited about was my energy, I wanted to run!

I met with Bruce on Wednesday to go over the race plan. My training has been going well and I've had some great workouts. Although I don't feel fast I do feel strong. After listening to him describe the course, we've decided I should aim for a 2:36, should be interesting and if nothing else I'll have a good tale to tell when it's over.

This afternoon I picked up my race package, lucky number... 2076! Nothing left to do now but rest up and relax:)

P.s. Still haven't been able to find a regular PowerBar, everything here is Protein Plus, Triple Shot, with Carbohydrates on the side. What ever happened to the old school Chocolate?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike,

You are going to rock. I look forward to reading the race report and sharing the tales when you get home!

Have at it!

Anonymous said...

All the girls chase you Mike.

Good luck Mike!

Mike

p.s. the old school chocolate never was that good. I'll get you a Toblerone or something when you get back.