Wednesday, December 27

Sunshine in December

Today, because I could, I decided to do a double. I had originally planned on a longer run but recalled shorter intervals were supposed to be in order and not wanting to overdo it… anyhow, I thought a double might help accomplish a) time on the feet and b) the interval session.

After enjoying a relaxing daybreak and a couple cups of Kicking Horse of coffee, I was out the door into a bitterly cold morning. I’m glad I wore my damp toque and had my gloves not been sopping wet I’d have sported them as well. The run felt relaxed and noting my pace afterwards, perhaps a tad faster than “easy” but nothing that stopped me appreciating the view of the Olympics across the straight.
­­­­­_________________________________________________

With the sun setting on a cloudless sky, Dallas Road was more reminiscent of a mid-summers evening then late December (
Jim would've hated it). I even saw one fool running with his shirt in hand, eejit. It's amazing how the sunshine brings everyone out of the woodwork.

The workout (10-15 x 1’) felt better then expected, the legs great, the ticker… working hard to keep up. The first five went by effortlessly at which point I figured I might do 15. By eight, I was working hard, and after 10… after 10 I contemplated stopping but figured I could squeeze two more out (as long as I didn’t overdo it).

I am happy with how the session progressed particularly given it was my first speed session since Sacramento. I might do some strides later in the week but will leave it at that until next week when the fun begins. Now if only I can remember to stretch this evening.

Training:
Morning: calisthenics, Hollywood Graveyard Loop, 26:00.1, AHR 143, 6.5 km (approx. 6:26 pace)
Late afternoon: calisthenics, 10x (1’ hard, 1’ easy), the hard at sub-5k pace, 51:55.3, AHR 143, MAX 163

2 comments:

Mike said...

You're moving along quite well since Sacramento. Wish I was running those speeds with the same comfort, though I wouldn't trade weather with you.

I like the idea of doubles, but I've never been able to do them enough to not feel a bit more tired during the next morning's workout (my main run).

Michael said...

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to stretching (quite the opposite and the legs seized up a tad last night). It looks like you’re coming around well now (a solid mid-week 12 miles).

Yeah I don’t normally do doubles, my coach hasn’t been a huge fan of them and tends to lean towards longer singles although there were a couple weeks building for CIM where I was running 9x week (with one day off). He also echoed your point, there being little point doing them if they leave you too fatigued.

Perhaps I’ll pose the questions on today’s write-up, “singles (as touted in Running With the Buffaloes) vs. doubles”.