Saturday, December 9

The Recovery Plan

Last night the lads and I managed to sneak down to the local drinking hole and, while necking a few pints of the black stuff, discuss most of the world’s problems. The evening allowed me a much looked-for opportunity to chat about my recent scurry with friends who have experienced a marathon or two themselves... and I thank the buoys for humoring me.

With training for Boston starting at the end of January it’s important that I get ample physical and mental recovery over the next few weeks, that and it will ensure a guilt free enjoyment of Christmas dinner. After finishing my first Ironman in 1995 I learnt a hard lesson when I started training for the following season without taking any down time and ended up succumbing to mono.

Having thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s run then, I let the trainers air out today and benefited from one more scheduled day off. Instead, I enjoyed a relaxing hike with some friends and Ally this morning out on the Peninsula and even managed to spend a little bread and honey holiday shopping (one down, nine to go).

Tomorrow and Monday I’ll head out for another short jog, followed by a further day off and then back at it Wednesday (on, off, on, on, off, on, on, on, off, on). This will take me through to the end of next week and allow mi-wadi to ease back into running.

No comments: