Thursday, December 21

Rest and Recovery?

“You never really appreciate what you have until it’s gone”. While sauntering to work this morning the birds were singing, I had an extra step in my stride and a car stopped in the middle of the road to let me cross. The sun was shining. Without conscious thought, I found myself planning this evenings run… I know. I wanted something different, something where I wouldn’t have to think but could simply run. I decided on the rectangular Mount Tolmie loop, a route involving very little decision making.

Conceivably, it is the fact that the girl has been sick for the last two days and I’ve managed to catch something, or, that while being sick she has baked Nanaimo bars, shortbread and ginger crinkles… or else, perhaps I was just tired.

After heading out the door I wasn’t long into the run when noticing, in view of the effort level, my HR was higher then normal. I attempted to ease back, attempted. I tried to casually dismiss the elevated HR as being due to the gradual 6km uphill, but I couldn’t buy it, the proof didn’t hold during the subsequent 4km gradual decline. Was this a sign? Should I grasp the holiday season by the tail and ride the coattails of every nap, drink and third helping of cranberry sauce into the night? Perhaps. I’ll have to reassess things in the morning.

The run, regardless of the HR, felt great. The view from the top of Tolmie was fantastic and the legs, the legs were p-r-e-t-t-y damn good.

Training: calisthenics, 1:01:44, AHR 146 (78%), MAX 166, approx. 14.5 km, 4:15 pace

1 comment:

MB said...

just came across your blog through Lydiard_Mike. Good luck in training for Boston and hope to be there too!