Sunday, December 17

Old School Sunday - Elk/Beaver Lakes

Yesterday was a scheduled day off and rather then, a day or respite, Ally and I made good work of our waking hours pulling hard on the reins and bringing Christmas back under control. After ordering my first seasonal coffee of the year, cautiously walking out of Starbucks with my eggnog latte in hand and a grin on my face, we proceeded to scour the local shops seeking gifts for friends and family.

This morning I called up a friend from work, a guy I’d met almost two years ago, and made arrangements to head out onto the trails. After picking him up, we decided to forego Thetis for another week and set out to Elk/Beaver. I always love returning the lakes. Introduced in 1996 and quickly becoming a staple in my diet, I all too frequently pass by a visit these days rather heading out to Thetis, Goldstream or Mackenzie Bight. Today, with the sun shining and the cool crisp air I enjoyed every footstep.

Jim, not to be confused with Seamus, has been recuperating from an unrelenting injury for the last two years only recently to have made gains enabling him to train with consistency (and talk about racing this upcoming year). After parking at the Rowing Club, we headed counterclockwise, detouring up Bear Hill, back down via Odyssey Lane and then continuing our way around the lake. We again opted off the beaten path, slipping passed the Riding Ring and weaving our way through the maze of tails at the southern end of the lake.

I was happily surprised to see Jim not only make Bear Hill look like a speed bump, maintaining good form and a steady pace, but once down, stretch the legs out all the while keeping me informed of his future plans to visit NYC… the things we do for a great woman?

Training: 1:16:32

No comments: