Tuesday, December 26

Neuschwanstein Castle

After observing a higher then normal HR this week, whether attributable to a reduction in fitness or the onset of illness, the last few days would surely have helped.

Once up at me mums, I quickly took advantage of having no agenda a proceeded to nap, gorge, read and assemble the puzzle (we set out to construct this year’s 3D conundrum, something of a tradition at our place, the Neuschwanstein Castle)… it was truly one of the more relaxing and enjoyable holiday seasons.

With one eye on the intricate puzzle and the other transfixed out the window, I lingered patiently for a break in the deluge; I guess you should be wary what you wish for? Only hours earlier I remember yearning for a Pacific storm to roll in and take the Tiredness Birds away, unfortunately, I received what I asked for “and” the rains to boot. With prospect of a respite slight, I headed out to stretch the legs… and was thoroughly drenched, that cold, dank, sopping wet sort of feeling one can only receive from true West Coast Rains! It was bloody freezing, and invigorating… I loved it.

Once inside and with Monday (Christmas) a scheduled rest day I proceeded to put out of mind, in no small part due to the three month old hot water bottle (my brother’s new child) slouched on my chest, the recent bone chilling I’d received. The week has been okay, building from the last, to finish with 4:58:49 of running (approx. 70-k). This upcoming week I hope to build again (approx 5:30 of running) and then start training proper in January.

_________________________________________________

Today, after returning from trapshooting on the way down from mums (something of a Boxing Day tradition on the girl’s side… don’t ask, this is new to me too) we were short on time before heading to dinner at Papas (the girls grandpa). With that said and not a moment to lose, I dashed out the door and managed to squeak in a handful (5) of the dreaded Seven Sisters. Can’t remember much of the run, as once again I was too busy dodging raindrops.

P.s. Regarding trapshooting, Ally kicked my ass and walked away with a colossal pork loin roast too.

Training:
December 24, Sunday: undulating soggy run on rural roads, 25:44 (felt smooth and untroubled). Couldn’t help but notice how good the pins felt.
December 25, Monday (Christmas Day): day off
December 26, Tuesday (Boxing Day): Five Sisters (not enough time for the complete Seven) 29:53.2, AHR 146 (HR a tad misleading given it sat unperturbed at 181 for the first 9’ and I wasn’t bothered to do much about it).

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

Nothing like a nice holiday break to get you ready for the long road to Boston. We had a cold Atlantic rain on Boxing Day but barely noticed it either.