Tuesday, December 12

A Year in Review

With no running on the schedule for today I thought I’d use the occasion to reflect on my running. It was about this time last year, while listening to Jim recount his marathon trials and tribulations, that I decided to revisit a goal I’d originally set for myself years back…. to see how fast I could race a marathon.

To me, the challenge would be different from that encountered while participating in ultra marathons during the last few years. I was confident in my aerobic fitness and thoroughly enjoyed trail races but I knew there existed a vast disparity between simply going further, and going faster, racing. What I wanted was to experience a 26.2 mile contest, a battle. I wanted to toe the line and feel the adrenaline and excitement, step off with a pack of runners and not run, but race. I wanted to hit upon a rhythm and go, feel great, and push the limits watching the hard work pay off. I wanted to be the one turning the screws this time.

With this in mind I set one purpose and two objectives for myself, improve upon my marathon PB, Ottawa in the spring and Sacramento in the fall… everything in between would be a means to an end.

Part I: Spring 2006
January 29, Mill Bay 10k, 36:08, 3:37/km
February 26, Hatley Castle 8k, 29:21, 3:40/km
March 19, Comox Valley Half Marathon, 1:19:56, 3:47/km
April 2, Sooke River 10k, 35:14, 3:31/km
April 23, Vancouver Sun Run 10k, 34:36, 3:28/km
May 7, Vancouver Half Marathon, 1:17:31, 3:40/km (PB)
May 28, ING Ottawa Marathon, 2:45:29, 3:55/km (PB)

Part II: Fall 2006
July 30, Esquimalt 8k, 29:42, 3:43/km
September 13, Rock Solid 3k, 9:55, 3:18/km pace
September 17, Maui Half Marathon, 1:18:29, 3:43/km
October 8, Royal Victoria Half Marathon, 1:17:34, 3:41/km
October 29, Shawnigan Lake Half Marathon, 1:19:03 3:45/km
November 19, Bear Mountain 10k, 37:29, 3:45/km
December 3, California International Marathon, 2:40:19, 3:48/km (PB)

Looking back on these 14 races, each one seems like yesterday. Finishing the Mill Bay 10k in January shocked to find I couldn’t break 36’, only to watch the seconds fall like autumn leaves by April ultimately setting two PBs in May.

After taking some time off in the early summer months I was again (borrowing a phrase) reminded of that not so great sensation, “feeling like 10 lbs. of shit in a 5 lb. bag” while crossing the line in Esquimalt. Again, only to set my second marathon PB for the year in December.


All these joys and stumbling blocks, and everything in between, I wouldn’t pass up for one second… I’ve had a good year, a great year and look forward to more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remeber a long time ago Mike, I was the veteran giving you advice and now, how the tables have turned - now you are the motivating force urging me to get the but out the door...

Thanks Mike

Mike