Saturday, December 23

I'll Trade You One Linus For Pig-pen

I started this mornings run with the same amount of enthusiasm and determination as a heavy-eyed Two-toed Sloth. Perhaps now that Seamus has returned home for the holidays his Pigpen-like cloud of tiredness has drifted down the street and taken up new residence. If that’s the case I can’t wait until the next Pacific storm blows in and takes this unwelcome guest with it.

We had some last minute running around to do before heading up to me mums. Ally dropped me off at the Cedar Hill Golf Course (CHGC) and then nipped over to the shops. Without much thought, I mistakenly asked her to be back in 45’ minutes.

The first loop slipped by with the same amount of ease and simplicity to that of running on a treadmill. It was as if someone had preset the pace and there were no handrails or room to jump off... so this is how it was going to be. I looked down after the first loop and was surprised to see 14:50. Apparently, the leg bones weren’t talking with the stuffed-up head bone and instead had a mind of their own. What was the rush?

Now I could’ve done 2 ½ loops or some combination of figure 8s and walked away a smarter man, but I dismissed that and immediately set myself a goal of three loops despite my lassitude. If I was going to complete this in less than 45’ today was not going to be a recovery run, not at least in my current state.

I changed direction on the second lap enjoying the back half with the sun on my face (14:27) and a grin creeping across my mug. The last round was perhaps the easiest, the pace had been set, I was warmed up and had only one place to go. I didn’t once feel like I was racing but thoroughly and utterly enjoyed the up-tempo effort, surprised at how unforced the running seemed (14:06). With yesterday’s run a tad longer then anticipated, perhaps tomorrow I’ll be able to coax my sister out for a relaxed jaunt on the rural roads up island.

I hope everyone makes the most out of the holiday season, until later then…

Training: 3x CHGC on undulating chip trail, 43:23, AHR 149, MAX 163

No comments: