Tuesday, December 5

California International Marathon (the details)

Going into the race I felt nervous, somewhat fearful at the opportunity of been given my chance but most importantly excited. I had been training for this race for the last 12 weeks and my preparations had lead me to rural Auburn-Folsom Rd. not far from the prison made famous by Johnny Cash.

If I could have changed two things leading into the race they would've been a) getting a massage in the days leading up and b) ensuring I had a more nutritious pre-race meal. Standing on the start line moments before the gun was to go off I don’t remember feeling anxious, but only now surprised at how calm I felt. I was chatting to Scott Peterson who I had met moments earlier, sharing our expectations and dreams. I remember him telling me he had run 2:2x:xx but today was eager for 2:34:00. I was setting out for a 2:36:00 finish (5:57 pace).

Given hydration difficulty in Ottawa I leant on some experience gathered while training for the 2005 Knee Knacker and started Sacramento with a handheld water bottle full of diluted Gatorade. I finished the bottle by mile 6 and probably drank more in those first 36’ then the rest of the race.

The first two miles went by in a blink of an eye (5:58 & 5:59) and I was delighted at how effortless they felt. I started at the front and quickly settled into a comfortable rhythm, telling myself to relax and drop my elbows (I have a bad habit of running with my shoulders around my ears).

Even though I tried to slow my tempo I accumulated a 22” surplus running miles 3 through 6, closer to 2:33:49 pace and regrettably outside of my fitness level. I was to reap the ill gained rewards from my enthusiasm later in the race.


7 - 5:57 (Gu #1), this was to be the only mile in the race that I nailed my pace.

8 - 6:05

9 - 6:05 (ditched gloves)

I split miles 10-12 in 18:19, somewhere in-between my left hamstring cramping for a brief second. Not a debilitating spasm but a sharp jab, reminiscent of a play yard bully reminding you he’s watching. I made note and tried not to adjust my stride, damn bullies.


13 - 6:02 (Gu #2), I split the half in 01:18:32 feeling comfortable and in control, content that I was on 2:37 pace.

During mile 14 (5:58) my left calf cramped for a long-lived second, I’d never had calf problems before and was concerned. By mile 15 (6:11), my quads and hamstrings had received a beating and appeared on the verge of cramping. Was I to hold pace and risk suffering the cruel sting I received at mile 22 in Ottawa (dropping 30-45 seconds a kilometer) or persist? As I was reminded prior to the race, I ran with a hint of madness in my eye, ditching my toque and dropping a 5:56 for mile 16.

At mile 17 (6:13) I miss shifted from 5th gear into 4th, no longer being able to turnover with graceful ease… I was slipping. During mile 18 (6:12) I abandoned my arm warmers and decided to take an extra Gu (#3) eating one at 18, instead of 20, hoping the extra calories would compensate for my loss of speed.

19 - 6:08, unlike Ottawa I felt my nutrition was improved, feeling greater mental awareness and happy I was in the game this time around.

20 - 6:14

During miles 21 & 22 (12:45, Gu #4) my gearbox fully broke, leaving me with only three gears. I contemplated turning off the watch but had enough consciousness to know I’d later appreciate the humour. I continued taking splits but didn't look, instead focusing on the runners ahead.

23 - 6:24, thought I'd pick it up.

Nearing the end.

Could struggle through a cramp, right?

24 - 6:26.

Good thing I didn’t try too hard earlier.

25 - 6:15.

Pissed off at the guy who received aid from his friend. Why was he allowed help? How come nobody was riding beside me handing me that last gel. If I tripped him would I have felt better? Damn him and his speed…

As I came around the last corner I couldn't see the time, (not wearing glasses) but I could make out the shape. Bugger, I wasn't going to run a 2:3x:xx today. Although I didn't hit my pace time I was only 4 minutes off and did set a PB of over 5 minutes...

Finished;

2:40:19;

I am;

Happy;

Want;

More!


1 comment:

rumon said...

London's calling, ready for your next - and our first in a long while - clash.