Friday, December 8

In Need of Cathartic Release

While at work this morning I couldn't focus. How many cups of coffee did I drink (I hadn’t been concentrating)? Two. Was it the fact that I had too many, or, not enough? Perhaps I needed another? I had another, an Americano to boot.

Ahh… wait!

My body still didn't feel right, I was a small child trapped inside on a rainy day with an inability to channel his energy. I found myself staring out a window, longing to be anywhere, but here. What was wrong, why was I antsy?

Not only did I have an abundance of energy but I was run-logged. After an enjoyable twelve week build for Sacramento I couldn’t disengage from race day. I couldn’t stop thinking about what was, what might have been and what might become, I needed a cathartic release, I needed to run. I wanted to experience race day again!

The end of my work day arrived with the same speed and intensity as does Christmas morning to a child on December 24th. Once home and changed I was out the door, running. I turned left, toward Pic-a-Flic, dropped off Tuesday night’s movie (
Keen Eddie v3) and then toward Beacon Hill Park. I skirted the park, enjoying the feel of the grass and mulch beneath my feet, up an over the hill and down, passing Terry and then home.

The body initially responded better then I could’ve imagined but the last 5 minutes were reminiscent of my ability to walk on Monday, ouch. Run time 30:01, AHR 127 (approx.69%), MAX148.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your recent marathon PB. I see that you want to run 2:34 someday...why 2:34? Why not make it sub 2:30? Cheers.