Tuesday, February 13

Chicken Soup for the Runner

“Happiness is not in our circumstances but in ourselves. It is not something we see, like a rainbow, or feel, like the heat of a fire. Happiness is something we are.”

Today couldn’t have been further in sensation then what I experienced on my run last Wednesday. Not because I managed an extra hill repeat, or because I finished the Beacon Hill mile faster then the week before; no, it was because I enjoyed being out there.

The morning jaunt was pleasant; I decided to head downtown and run along the harbour, passing in front of the Legislature. It was amazing to think less then an hour later the streets would be filled with bustling commuter traffic. I was startled running through an intersection when I was honked at. What, who cares if the light wasn’t green? It was only when I was feet from the car that I realized it was my coworker and friend Jim on his way to work. Don’t people have anything better to do at this hour of the morning? I stretched my legs out on the grass along Dallas, they felt good, go figure?

After work, I headed out into Beacon Hill Park, down along the eroding coastal path and onto the beach. I couldn’t believe that there wasn’t a single other person out there, I loved it… turning back one last time to look over my shoulder at the setting sun.

Training:
A.M. a moderate 45:34, AHR 139, MAX 151
P.M. a very easy 1:00:24, AHR 128, MAX 140

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Liam! I just noticed how similar your Cedar photo is to your homepage photo - only the footing has changed!

Michael said...

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't know if it's a good thing... or a bad thing?

Unknown said...

DOOD!

I just had an idea. We should compile a book about runner's ideas/experiences so that other runners could take inspiration from it! We could call it - get this - Chicken Soup for the Runner! Or Chicken Soup for the Runners' Soul!

Do you think this idea could work? Has anyone done it? Would Rumon and Jim contribute (as long as Jim didn't write purpley).

Thursday.

Chris said...

Chicken Soup for the Sole.

Michael said...

Brad - I'm sure there must be a running book out there similar to that, but I have yet to read one.

The best I've come across was a book written by Scott Tinley (reflections on Triathlon) called “The Spoke of the Wheel”, “The Hub of the Wheel”… something like that, I loved it!

Thursday, 45’ easy?

Chris - :)