Sunday, February 18

Relaxed and Rested

We returned to Victoria this afternoon, after spending a relaxing long weekend on Galiano. Apart from enjoying two days of veritable feasting, the company of great friends and the humor of a young child, the highlight for me was discovering the 4-km long Bodega Ridge trail (rising to 328 meters) with fantastic views of Vancouver Island and the Strait of Georgia.

I had originally feared having to run today’s jaunt on Galiano but with a change in plans (opting for the earlier ferry), a new arrangement was in the works. Coming off the ferry, I hopped out of the car just south of Sidney, at Cy Hampson Park. After kissing Ally goodbye, I ran along the
Lochside Trail, to Mount Doug, and then home along my usual route via UVic.

I completely enjoyed the point-to-point run through the heart of Saanich farmland and with the sun on my face it made it that much more pleasant. Unfortunately, along with the sun, I reluctantly had the company of an incessant cold wind but at least it wasn’t raining. In fact, considering it was initially forecast to rain all week, we got off easy.

I was scheduled to run for 2 hours and having to guess where to start left wondering. As it turned out, I couldn’t have been that much closer. The kicker though during an otherwise satisfying run, was a gradual bonk over the last 25’; given a much later then usual start coupled with a light (2 piece of toast breakfast) left me wanting.

Training:
Friday (P.M.) – 1:08:20 with 3x (10’ H, 5’ E), AHR 137, MAX 169
Saturday – an easy 43:33
Sunday – a mostly comfortable 2:09:44, approx. 6:50 mi/pace, 30k (19 miles)

No comments: