Tuesday, February 20

London Calling (the Clash)

Brad called me this afternoon to see if I was up for a light run after work, he was looking at heading out around 4:00. Unfortunately, work had been busy and I wasn’t able to get away at the usual time… Brad should not have waited.

A few days ago it was +14C, today, shortly after I met up with Brad it started to rain, the rain turned to sleet, the really big heavy stuff and if you squinted it looked like it was snowing… who would’ve thought. Along with the blossoms on the tree outside the back door, I also am confused, when is spring coming? Ever the optimist, I evidently had been counting the chickens a tad too early (and now “they” are calling for snow on March 1st).

I booked my ticket to London this morning, which was pretty thrilling. After much discussion with
Jim, my coach and Ally (she had the final word), I’ll be arriving in the UK on the Saturday, eight days before the race, which should be more then enough time to get over any jetlag.

Training: a steady 40:53, AHR 148, MAX 197 (?) I’m not putting too much stock in the AHR as I’m not sure my MAX has ever been that high, and if so, it was decades ago. The legs felt great.

5 comments:

MB said...

220-23(age inserted)=197. Were you running that hard back then?

Mike said...

It's great you can get to London that early before the race. Hopefully you'll be staying where you can get all your usual food that week. Bummer about the crap weather, I won't tell you what it's like down in Arizona right now, but to give you a hint, Tiger Woods is playing golf out here.

Michael said...

At 23 I’d be surprised it my max HR was 190, I think I’m about 10 bpm off when that formula is used (that, or perhaps I wasn’t running hard enough).

I’ll be staying with my relatives who live on the outskirts of London for the first week and then move into the city for the weekend. Mike, regarding the weather, that’s not fair. What I wouldn’t give to run in some warm dry heat right now. I gather some of the pro cycling teams are training in your neck of the woods as well.

Love2Run said...

Don't talk to me about weather. Have to squint to make it seem like snow? Sheesh! I'd like to move to Arizona too.

So how do you do the map thing? I'm thinking I'll get going from the Maritimes and meet you half way...

Michael said...

That sounds like a great idea, where do you want to meet?

I don't know how long I'll do the map thing, at least until I get across the country. At first, I thought I’d try and get across this year (2007) but I don’t think it’s realistic, I’ll probably finish this time next year.

I did a little bit of research and it’s actually quicker to travel to the east coast if I run a majority of the way through the US, who knew? Rather defeats the purpose of running across Canada though doesn’t it? Who knows, after that…