Wednesday, February 21

Goal Setting

“The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it”.

My coach sent me an interesting article on goal setting today. The methodology prescribed was nothing I haven’t heard before, however, it was the category of goals discussed that peaked my interest.

Outcome Goals are those that focus on the end-result of a competition that depends on how well you perform compared to opponents. Control Level = LOW, since the actions and behaviours of your competitors cans significantly impact whether or not you achieve your goal.

Performance Goals are those that focus on achieving a certain standard of performance or an objective measure that is comparable to your own previous results. Control Level = MEDIUM to HIGH, since these are determined primarily by your actions and behaviours, although some external factors may impact you (e.g., environmental conditions, race strategies of others, equipment issues).

Process Goals are those, which focus primarily on the ‘quality’ of a skill, technique, strategy, behaviour, etc. These goals are the fundamental building blocks to achieving both performance and outcome goals. For example, to improve your personal best, you may need to improve your stride length, etc. Control Level = HIGH, since these are generally things you can work on and develop independent of your competition and in a variety of environmental conditions.

I had to work late this evening and as a result started my run as dusk faded to black, a perfect companion for thinking… what were my outcome, performance and process goals for London.

I will finish within the top 150 overall (top 30 in my age group),
I will run a sub-2h37 marathon, and
I will descend my workouts ensuring I finish strong and in control.

Thoughts?

Training: a relaxed and comfortable 49:04, AHR 138, did I mention I love recovery weeks?

10 comments:

Lawrence said...

Interesting. Would you happen to have a link to the article your coach sent you?

Michael said...

I did, but I stupidly deleted it. I’ll have to have a look for it tomorrow and post it then, if I don’t get back to you, remind me. How is the training going, a lot of short track work eh? What’s next for you?

rumon said...

Thoughts on your goals:

1. No idea what this would mean or, in fact, whether it would mean anything in the context of what is shaping up to be the world's most competitive marathon (at least as far as the top-25 or so are concerned).

2. The way you're training, race smart as this seems to be as close to a slam dunk as you can get in marathon racing.

3. Impossible. Don't kid yourself, Sprinter Boy. ;-)

Chris said...

I know professionally, goals are useless if they do not have a few key elements:

1.)Specificity. Clearly detailed and accuratly measured, desired result.
2.)Plan that maps to that goal, the steps to acheive it.
3.)Focus, to always have your eye on the end goal.
4.)Smaller goals along the way, each one marking progress and cultivating confidence, when acheiving these smaller goals, along the way.
5.)Belief. IF you write down a goal to appease someone else, your motivation for creating the goal then has nothing to do with you acheiving it at all, it's as useless as blindly throwing a dart at a spot on the wall.
6.)Know why you want to acheive this goal. What is the driver? Hopefully not some random 'nice to have result', placed ad-hoc to demonstrate to others that it is a goal.
7.)Logic.

Eric said...

Due respect to Chris, but don't overthink your goals.

You should add a few 'process' goals. These are the 'little things' that tend to add up to a lot in the end. A good one for a lot of people is to drop a kilo of weight in the months before a marathon. Estimates are it can cut a full minute or better from your time. Pretty solid payback for the small effort required.

What's this about low-20 second 200m speed?? I was reading the Three Roads site this morning. What is your 200m PR?

Cliff said...

Am I wrong to assume that if you focus on your process goals, you will accomplish your performance goals and that will drive you to achieve your outcome goals?

Chris said...

I agree with both Eric and Cliff here. Those are the same goal stepping stones, perhaps just better said

Love2Run said...

Impressive goals, my primary marathon goal is to get to the finish in one piece but it rarely happens.

btw - I was thinking of a virtual meeting 1/2 way but you'll be at Boston next year, right?

Michael said...

No, I’m definitely not going to over think my goals. It had just been “such” a long while since I’d contemplated setting any. I remember breaking down the season into short, medium and LT objectives when I did triathlons, I don’t know why I hadn’t considered doing that for running. Hadn’t even crossed my mind until yesterday, but it has me thinking. Your right, a few more process goals, leading to performance… it’s a good direction to head.

Regarding my 200 PB, Rumon tends to tell a good tale. Don’t think 20:XX, think 2X:XX. Seriously, I have a disproportionate amount of fast twitch fibers and “used” to be able run 23’ 200s when I was sick and wearing my old trainers. A while back, a different coach was trying to get me to run the 800 or mile but I was more interested in swimming, biking and running… that was over a decade ago now.

Mike, I’ll be lost somewhere in Manitoba if I haven’t completed my virtual cross country journey by April next year, and yes, if all goes well I hope to do Boston next year. Ally doesn’t know yet, shhh.

Anonymous said...

I heard that :)

Ally