Thursday, February 1

Really, no peanut butter?

My stomach is still unsettled (noticeably so after my second jaunt). Following a chat with my sister, I’m considering seeing a nutritionist or naturopath. To say I’m skeptical would be an understatement.

I can imagine them asking me to track my diet for a week; fair enough. Then they’ll tell me I don’t eat enough fruit & vegetables (not surprising, but something I’ve known for years). After which, they’ll hand me a pamphlet which suggests I avoid any food that is high in fat, insoluble fiber, caffeine, coffee and even… alcohol. When I read the fine print, I’ll see that I should steer clear of:

Red meat;
Poultry dark meat and skin;
Dairy products;
Egg yolks;
Anything battered and deep-fried;
Anything not battered and deep-fried;
Anything skillet-fried in fat of any kind, in fact all oils, fats, spreads, etc.;

Olives; and
Nuts and nut butters.

No peanut butter, is it really worth it? Has anyone had a positive experience with a nutritionist?

Toward the end of this evenings run, I was treated to a gorgeous sunset. I turned around to observe the full expanse as the reds faded into blues and observed a very full moon rising over the mountains to the west… it’s the small things in life.

Training:
A.M. an easy 30:02, 6.92 km, 6:59 mi/pace
P.M. an easy 28:11 over the same 6.92 km, 6:33mi/pace, AHR 133, MAX 144

6 comments:

Lawrence said...

A nutritionist is one thing....but a naturopath?! Good god......they'll have you on a "cleansing" program before you can do your next hill repeat, and you know, you won't be able to do that rep.

Mike said...

They'll leave you the peanut butter, but only a tablespoon at a time. That is quite a nice sunset.

Chris said...

Forget it! You'll be demanding an hour of your life back.

Do it yourself.

Eliminate and return to diet common foods that you suspect may cause problemos. ! wek each, see if there is a difference.

Eat more leavy greens and fruits and drink more Guiness and Whiskey.

Your Irish for Gawds sake.

Thomas said...

As someone who just wasted 5 hours in a waiting room only to be told what I knew already, I can sympathise.

Having said that, your nutrition can make a huge difference to the way you feel, and, obviously, to the way your stomach feels. I always feel much better with Niamh's vegetarian diet than that of her mother who constantly tries to fatten me up with copious amounts of meat.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

To paraphrase from Once a Runner: If the furnace is hot enough, anything [food] will burn.

Maybe a sports nutritionist would be a good compromise. That is, if such creatures exist.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

I give credit to Dr. Kimberly McQueen as being a huge part of the reason I'm still alive. I challenge any naysayers of naturopathy to sway that opinion.

At the levels that some of us push our bodies, nutrition becomes ever so more important. We research training programs, buy expensive HR monitors, change our shoes so foten that we sometimes feel that we ourselves drive the running shoe industry, and hire coaches to guide us through our workouts so why not invest some time and money in woking with someone who can help us find the right octane to put into these machines?

A naturopath is not the answer for everybody, and just like "western" medicine, not all naturopaths are created equal. But I think you will garner some very valueable information by seeing someone like Kim.

As always Mike, a pleasure to read your blog. Hope to get over there for a run soon.

Mike