Saturday, February 24

Working (it)

Plodding home from the office yesterday, the last thing on my mind was a Friday afternoon workout; who sets this schedule? I’d been down the pub the night before with the boys trading stories and having a laugh. Unfortunately, at the end of the night I found myself walking home three sheets to the wind and morning rolled around far too early. I only have myself to blame.

As luck would have it though, Brad volunteered to keep me company, and I’ll be forever obliged. The workout, 8x (4’ H, 2’ E) at 5km - 8km pace. Not wanting to stroll too far from home I decided to head to Beacon Hill Park and run the mile loop. We started at the crosswalk near the Petting Zoo, and ran the first interval hard for 4’, pulling up perpendicular to a 30 km/h signpost (this was to be our finish line in an effort to keep us honest). From there we completed the loop, jogging back to the start in the remaining 2’ (therefore, 8x mile on 6’ with 4’ H, 2’ E).

[Brad ran the last interval at pace clocking a 5:27, therefore 1600m in 327”, which means we were covering approximately 1175m in our 240”, assuming my math is right]

The first 1 felt effortless, almost too easy, the next 4 okay. I started to come apart on 6 & 7 and I was very happy and proud to finish the last one… 9.3 km at 5km - 8km pace, done as dinner. It seems that, a 5:27 mi/pace corresponds to a 16:56 5-k; perhaps I was doing the intervals a tad fast? My splits were as follows (time, AHR, MAX):

3:59 (158, 165)
4:00 (161, 165)
4:03 (161, 164)
4:04 (161, 165)
4:04 (161, 164)
4:05 (163, 166)
4:05 (164, 166)
4:03 (162, 165)

After making it home, I didn’t have much time to spare and my calves were not pleased with the result. Ally kindly whipped up some great homemade chicken strips while I showered and then we dashed down to the McPherson Playhouse to see my
friend (and fellow London bound runner) star in a fundraiser based on the book Working by Studs Terkel.


"The hopes, dreams, joys and concerns of the average worker are the focus of this unique, extraordinary musical".

The kicker… he was r-e-a-l-l-y good, and has a fantastic stage voice… who knew!

Training:
Friday – 1:29:04, 8x (4’ H, 2’ E)
Saturday – an easy 30:20 (tight calves)

No comments: