Monday, March 5

Flora London Marathon Week #5 (49 days and counting)

Forty-nine days, somehow that seems far too close, although I don’t know that 7 weeks is any better.

A fortnight ago, I questioned my body’s ability to absorb the recent training. I’d even gone so far as to post a quote from Sue Luke, “Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you are moving forward”. This week, particularly late in the week, I swear there were times when lying motionless, facedown in the mud would’ve been the preferred option.

Walking home from work this afternoon I knew spring had finally arrived, it was palpable. And, not because the sun was shining, but rather because it wasn’t, it somehow seemed more spring-like. Yet swallows were still frittering around, busy searching for a food and nesting material, shoots were sprouting and the air was saturated with possibility. Passing the park I yearned to be out running, just an easy 20’, surely that would be okay? I’ve got friends who would question the necessity for a day off, choosing rather an easy jaunt, you know, just to keep the blood flowing. As much as I wanted to run, I opted for a lazy, late afternoon tipple, gazing at the birds flying around our plum tree (see picture) in the back yard. I remembered hobbling about last night with the mobility of some 50 years my senior. No, I’d made the correct decision, this past week was my first outing at 100% volume; total time on the feet was 10h30’, approx. 150km (94 miles) and I needed to rest.

Monday: day off
Tuesday: 1:14:07, AHR 136
Wednesday: A.M. 50:57 with 4x strides, P.M. 1:28:05 with 60’ at 5:45-5:55 pace
Thursday: A.M. an easy 32:57, P.M. 47:53
Friday: A.M. 45:38, P.M. 1:18:30, with 10’ at 10-k effort, followed by 6x800

Saturday: 59:36
Sunday: 2:32:19, AHR 137, MAX 165, 6:50 mi/pace

2 comments:

Eric said...

Nice week, Michael. A good mix of intensity and volume. Take care of the achilles, and get a day or two of slow recovery running done to allow the past couple of weeks to sink in.

Good work!

Love2Run said...

That's a cruel picture for the rest of the country still in a brutal freeze. Smell the flowers indeed! London bridge is falling down just like your pr will.