Tuesday, March 6

Rest, recovery & a good book

Last night Ally and I went to one of our favourite late night bookstores, and for the first time in a while, I walked out with two books bundled under my arm. Unfortunately, they have three unfinished companions already on the nightstand and the kicker; I “know” I already own one of the books (but just wanted to make sure). Then, after receiving this week’s schedule and being reminded of the need for proper nutrition, sleep and recovery I opted for my new book with complete disregard for my 5:30 a.m. run.

After work, I received a massage from one of the good people at James Bay Chiropractic. Lindsay pointed to a connection between my left achilles and the intermittent cramping I’ve been having in my left hamstring (I’m thinking of having some A.R.T. done… thinking).

My heel really flared up during the first 5’ of this afternoons run, something I’ve never experienced before; I’m not surprised though given the work I’d received. I spent the next 50’ on soft grass and trails, the legs feeling good and reminding myself of Eric’s words (ensuring I had a day or two of slow recovery to allow the past couple of weeks to sink in). I never noticed the heel again bit I’m icing it now.

Given, tomorrow is going to separate the boys from the men and my need for sleep will be paramount; I’ve got some all consuming reading to achieve in the remaining few hours.

Training:
A.M. an easy 40:47, 6:58 mi/pace, the sunrise was absolutely spectacular, I never knew red could be so vivid
P.M. a comfortable 59:16, 6:54 mi/pace

No comments: