Monday, March 19

Flora London Marathon Week #7 (35 days and counting)

Okay, who wears split shorts? I’ve been considering wearing them in London, thinking it might almost be expected, custom perhaps? I reckon that much like wearing a Speedo while on the continent is mandatory (if at a beach), I assume wearing split shorts would be equally obligatory if running a race… no? Secretly I’m going for the euro look, and unfortunately I paid the price. I hadn’t worn any split shorts in almost nine years, but yesterday in Comox I decided to break tradition and give them another go. Today, as I hobble around on tender legs, I’m bearing the scars from my failed experiment.

The last seven days have been all about recovery, adaptation and tapering resulting in a nice reward. Having run a PB definitely gives me confidence going into the remaining five weeks; I can almost feel the excitement. But no, I’m pushing it back down and staying focused on the task at hand, recovery this week and then another solid few weeks of quality before we start the taper.

For those of you who paid any attention to last Monday’s entry when I mentioned “cutting myself off from the Times”, well it didn’t last long, four days in fact… pathetic! Total time on the feet was 6h55’, approx. 100km (63 miles).

Monday: day off
Tuesday: A.M. easy 33:54, P.M. easy 41:37
Wednesday: A.M. easy 29:47, P.M. 1:02:24 with 4x (2'H, 1'E, 1'H, 30"E, 30"H, 2'E)
Thursday: a steady 56:02
Friday: easy 42:46

Saturday: 28:45 with 4x strides
Sunday: 2h with 1:15:29 Comox Half-marathon

Thanks to everyone who has cast a vote in support of the Runners of Compassion Shoes for Youth Program; as of this morning we’d received 98 votes, 1 shy from making the program a reality! If you haven’t voted and would like to please check out this link.

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

Belated high 5 on your outstanding 1/2! Great run and enjoyable race report too. Did you know the '3 roads to London' got a mention at the Chasing Kimbia site? Good work there too!

Michael said...

Thanks and no, not until now... that is pretty cool (I'll have to ask Carter about that one).

Thomas said...

Maybe it's the split shorts that gave you the massive PR. The chafing will be gone soon, the PR stays.

Michael said...

Thomas you might be right, either way I'm still undecided on what I’ll be wearing, what am I saying, I sound like…