Thursday, March 29

Lucozade

Today, Mike wrote about “not wasting a good day”, a statement I couldn’t agree more with; my question though, what do you do when the reverse occurs? Can you waste a bad day (perhaps I should’ve stayed home)? Throughout the day I could feel my limbs growing heavier, a strange sense of fatigue was setting in and my legs definitely didn’t have the strength to respond. I headed out this evening then with a sense of apprehension rising amid every stunted stride. I trudged my way through BHP, down along the waterfront and through both the Ross Bay and Chinese Cemeteries… the locations seemed fitting. Not being able to shake my leaden pins, I decided to throw in a few strides building from MP through 5k; it was when I hit 10k pace that I felt the most relaxed. Whether a) I’m fighting a mild bug, b) the effect of a few easy days or c) the effect of a few hard weeks, I hope this lethargy is gone by Saturday.

On an unrelated note, I seem to be single-handedly keeping the postman busy as today I received my Boston Marathon Guide & Number Pick-up Card. Alas, it’s not going to happen this year and I’m going to try rolling over my entry to 2008… that and live vicariously through both
Mike and Mark.

Last night, while flipping through the London Marathon News, I discovered the following regarding the aid stations:

(1) Vittel Water is offered at every mile from 3 through to 25 in 330ml plastic bottles with the top removed; and

(2) Lucozade Sport is available at miles 5, 10, 15, 19 & 23, offered in a 330ml pouch with the top removed.

What is Lucozade, it sounds like a cough syrup? Has anyone experienced racing with the drink? And, is the pouch similar to a child’s juice box? Either way, I’m quite happy as with both water and Lucozade (?) provided in bottles, I won’t have to run the first hour with my handheld water bottle as I’m completely horrible at trying to drink out of cup while racing.

Training: an easy but awkward 42:47 w/ 4x30”

4 comments:

Eric said...

Lucozade Sport

It appears to be an excellent sports drink. It is isotonic, which basically means the osmolarity of the solution is optimized for absorption (unlike Gatorade and other so-called sports drinks), and it contains a combination of easily digestible carbohydrates, which also tends to improve absorbtion. Looks like a winner.

However, if you can, you should get a 12-pack of this stuff and use it in training. With your recent stomach issues and a new drink on marathon day, you just don't know.

Thomas said...

Lucozade is a sport drink, very popular on this side of the Atlantic.

Try it once you get to London - it's available in a lot of shops, but make sure you get the sport drink, because standard Lucozade is carbonated.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, it is very nasty tasting. Like nothing natural...I can only say that it tastes like chemicals.

Adamo said...

Hey Mike,

I actually don't mind Lucozade. I've used it a fair bit for long rides while Eurobound and it went down fine.
I've never used it on a run.
I'd try to describe the taste, but much like describing colour, I'll stick to comparisons. It tastes like, well, a sports drink. Helpfully, not really, but nothing funky or outrageous.