Thursday, March 15

It’s Mr. Grumpy to you!

This morning I saw D’arcy (James Bay Chiropractic) for a session of Active Release Therapy (ART). I left with a good appreciation of her talent and some extra length in my gait. If you haven’t enjoyed the pleasure of ART, imagine someone isolating specific parcels of muscle and stretching them out. She left me with a few exercises along with stressing the need for me to work on my core strength. What?

I’ve been a grumpy sod this afternoon, okay that’s a tad harsh, perhaps antisocial is more fitting. Given my mood I called the two people I knew would understand only to discover that they’d already run. Bastards! At least with Ally away, I had a chance to use the car so drove up to UVic for my run… given it was raining I was looking forward to my mood spiraling downward. Unfortunately, as much as I tried to wallow in my petulance with Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 in A major playing in my ear and long familiar ground underfoot I left a new person. While up there, I also managed to retrieve my two hand-held water bottles that I’d stashed during my last two long runs. I wonder what else is hidden up there?

On a completely unrelated story, and only because I was dreaming about being elsewhere, last September while on holiday I ran the Maui Half Marathon… but that’s for a different story. That said, the day afterwards I had the opportunity to relive my roadie dreams & ride a rented road bike (I brought over my peddles & shoes) up the 10,023 ft Haleakala volcano; the road up holds the distinction of climbing the highest altitude in the shortest distance (38 miles). It was shortly after this point (8,000 ft) that singing and riding became difficult.

Training: a steady cruise for 56:02

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

It's been raining on and off since I got here, We're still having a lot of fun and discovering the rainy side of Maui. Today we explored the south coast and revisted some of our favorite spots and stumbled across and even better fish taco stand...Tomorrow were going on a 7 hour boat cruise to Lana'i and Molokini for some whale/dolphin watching and snorkelling. After we return, I'll be heading to the airport to make the trek home.

Good Luck with the race tomorrow. I wish I could be there to cheer you on!

See you tomorrow night!

xo Ally