Tuesday, March 27

Tuesday Morning

“Too many sad days, too many Tuesday mornings
I thought of you today, I wished it was yesterday morning
I thought of you today, and I dreamt you were dressed in mourning
But I knew that you, with your heart beating
And your eyes shining, would be dreaming of me
Lying with you, on a Tuesday morning”

The Pogues had it all right… last night after receiving the upcoming weeks schedule I went and poured myself a not so wee dram of Longmorn and returned to the computer.

When I began training for London, I mentally broke the weeks down into blocks. After finishing Sunday’s long run things were supposed to get easier as I’d arrived at the end of a significant block. I expected things to be easier. Rather, I was sifting through the details taking note of how the next six days were going to be shaped by the ten scheduled workouts. And, to ensure I wouldn’t get complacent, the weekend would be filled with 4 hours of running (1h55 at MP or faster).

I feel like a small child who has just been informed that Christmas has been postponed a week. The kicker is, I know Bruce is right; starting a taper four weeks out would leave me flat come race day.

Ahh, what’s another week?

Maybe I could open one present early?

Patti Sue Plumer said, “Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made”… if I’m to get through this, I couldn’t agree more.

Training:
A.M. another bloody 30:55, I felt… f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c
P.M. a leisurely 42:29 with JB, unfortunately he had to wait twice as I had a very unsettled stomach this evening; what is with me and my stomach? I even tried, for the first time, soy milk on my cereal today... maybe that was it?

5 comments:

Chris said...

Well if you are to run in excess of what your daily schedule will offer - look no further than here...

Michael said...

If I was to run in excess of what my daily schedule offered, not only would I be "dead" tired, but in a fit of mindlessness I might do something crazy like opting for a different marathon... finish what you started!

Chris said...

Dude,

I am not satisfied with my training currently.

I also have not run a shorter race reflecting any serious improvement. Yeah I have an excuse for every race. Pioneer and Mill Bay were early, Bazan I had a cold, Cedar had some improvement, but so did everyone else run well at Cedar.

If I am to have further improvement at Merville and follow that up with a satisfactory long run the week after, then yeah! I will do Vancouver.

I'll trade you talent levels in a nano second. :o)

MB said...

did I read that right, 1 hour and 55 minutes at marathon pace for one run?

could be, someone created a race out here, I've ran it, that goes from Maine to Mass, crossing New Hampshire three weeks out from Boston with a distance of 20 miles.

It's not a bad race, except traffic, it is all flat so the recovery is fairly good.

My two cents is don't overdo this one in making it a great workout only to leave your London as a poor result

Michael said...

Hey Mark, no, no race out here. The 1h55 will be split between two days: Saturday, 45' MP & 10' HMP with 60' MP on Sunday. Good times; I’ll heed your advice though, smart words.