Thursday, March 1

It's simply that I just have to

“If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years, then willpower is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to.”
- Emil Zatopek

This is what it is all about isn’t it? Not what makes it worthwhile, the achievement, but being in the muck? Conscious of your choice and regardless of the outcome, you’ve rolled up your sleeves and decided to wade, waist deep into the mud to fetch what is yours. Nobody said it would be easy.

Tell me I’m right?

Tell me I’m supposed to feel like I do?

I was numb when I left the house on my run. Conscious of my surroundings, I enjoyed the warmth of the sunshine and the soft yielding grass. I smiled at a bride and groom posturing for pictures in the park, and laughed at the cackle from the ducks as I disturbed their late afternoon slumber. These are positive signs, signs that tell me I was right in heading out. However, to say I was tired wouldn’t quite capture the new feeling I’ve discovered. I’m not at risk of falling asleep, but my muscles carry a heavy burden. My arms would argue that they’ve been doing most of the work. At least there is no doubt that I’m training…

Training:
A.M. an easy & enjoyable 32:57
P.M. 47:53 (five down, four to go)

4 comments:

Lawrence said...

You are right! You are supposed to feel that way. Celebrate the fact that you can accomplish so much more than the "average"...........

rumon said...

I like this one. It feels...real.

Thomas said...

As Andrew Seeley told me at the beginning of the year:

Fatigue is your new best friend

Michael said...

Oh, it feels real.

Fatigue my new best friend, who is this Andrew guy, and I’m not so sure I like his choice of acquaintances?

Thanks guys:)