Tuesday, January 2

Chartered Accountant Looking For Woodwork Apprenticeship

Maybe I should reconsider my life as an accountant and take up woodwork, perhaps build an arc leaving the running to those heading for higher ground… yes, yet another (and I hate the term) pineapple express has hit the coast!

Just before popping to bed last night I decided to check my email, whoa, apparently tomorrow (today) was S-day, the day I was back on schedule. As the rain was pelting hard against the windows and gurgling down the gutters like a fuel deprived Chevrolet Tahoe I was surprised, in that not so good way, to discover that I was to do two runs (today). Why hadn’t I gone to bed an hour earlier, was Risk II that exciting?

Morning rolled around far too early, but like a faithful dog that doesn’t know any better I was out the door, dodging raindrops. One down, one to go.

This afternoon as I tied the house key onto my shoe I’m sure it wasn’t raining out, I even thought I saw some blue sky? As I was supposed to do 10’ at tempo run, I decided to head to Beacon Hill Park and run the ring. My legs felt great during the warm-up. As it was blowing squalls, I decided to run the route counterclockwise, running into the wind on the hill where I thought they’d do the least damage. I split the first mile feeling very comfortable and in control (but fast) and eased up perfectly for the second. After the tempo I started the hill circuit, something that was new to me… imagine A’s and B’s interspersed with 100m-200m hill sprints and the odd stride on the flat to mix it up. Unfortunately, after 4 of 6, I was dripping, chilled and exceedingly miserable and called it a night. Bugger, I hate this weather!

Training:
A.M. calisthenics, Hollywood Graveyard Loop easy 26:59, AHR 129, approx. 6.5 km
P.M. 2 miles at half-marathon effort 5:38 (AHR 158, MAX 163), 5:51 (AHR 159, MAX 163), followed by 4x hilly circuit (was supposed to do 6 but after 4 I was dripping, chilled and exceedingly miserable), 1:18:18, AHR 138, MAX 163

3 comments:

Lawrence said...

You're a better man than I.

I didn't have the bravery to head out in the rainstorm this morning.

Michael said...

Yeah but you were sick, or at least fighting it off. You did the right thing.

Thomas said...

It sounds like we've been running in similar conditions lately.

Am I glad I'm not the only nutcase running out there in the storm!