Friday, January 19

The Hills of Friday

The stretching I did last night most likely didn’t hinder the healing, but after two consecutive days of easy running I woke up this morning glad to find my achilles had settled down. Thanks to Mark for reminding me of the benefits received from icing. Why is it we always forget the little things?

With the weather cooperating it almost felt like winter, a Victorian winter, what with the sun breaking through but threat of rain ever present. I headed back into Beacon Hill Park this afternoon to run this weeks version of my hill circuit (keeping the jogs at a decent pace):


  • 100m fast (uphill), jog back;
  • 50m bounding (uphill), jog back;
  • 100m fast (uphill), jog back;
  • 50m A skip (uphill), jog back; and
  • 100m fast (uphill).

The first 6 sets passed effortlessly but 7 through 9 required thought/effort and number 10 had me (for the second day in a row) on autopilot. My legs were tired at the end of the run but not sore, I enjoyed it.

Training: calisthenics, 1:30:34, AHR 136 (74%), AHR 158 (85%) with 10x hill circuit. My left achilles was tender when I got home, iced it.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

That sounds like a tough workout, wow. I wouldn't do a hill workout if my achilles were hurting, though. Keep an eye on that.

Michael said...

Yeah the workout was definitely challenging, ensuring that I didn’t back off too much on the hard sessions. But with the 2’ jogs in-between sets I found it more mentally taxing then physically.

You’re right about hills and the achillies, I thought about that myself... half way through the workout. With my specific marathon training starting next week I can only guess the hill workouts will end. That said, you also made me reconsider my run plan this morning, I was going to head to Mount Doug but instead will be visiting my old alma mater (UVic).

Chris said...

I think hills are good for the achilles, are they not?

Lydiard used hills to stretch them...

Hill are your friends, are they not?

Michael said...

I don't know, perhaps when the achillies is healthy? Right now I think I'll stick to the flats.