Thursday, January 18

Remembering Spring

Although the ice and snow has all but disappeared, the cherry blossoms and yellow warmth of the spring sun feel distant. I reached into the cupboard this evening, to the far back right-hand corner and proceeded to pour myself a glass of Highland Park, then settling down in front of the computer. Oh, that was good; I don’t remember it tasting that delicious, the self described “smokiness with heather honey and a hint of peat”.

I had a good run. That is a tad misleading; I thoroughly enjoyed the run but took greater pleasure in the company. Rumon swung by again and we headed out left, down Linden toward the waterfront. I can recall the route when I think about it, but tonight I was on autopilot, engrossed in conversation. Discussing lessons learnt and those still to discover, setting plans for the future and trying to remember paths once trodden.

We nattered through the Chinese Cemetery, up and over King George Terrace and then back up the stairs to Walbran Park, down toward Anderson Hill Park and then home up Brighton. We bumped into an old friend, someone these days I see once a month when out running. His wife had just given birth to their first child three weeks previously, congratulations Cam.

I was supposed to get in an easy 75’, but never one to run in circles, called it quits as we rounded the corner of Linden and Richardson. In checking Rumon's site, notice the discrepancy in run time, although I am a slower runner.

Training: as easy 1:10:39, AHR 130, MAX (undoubtedly while running up the stairs on the backside of Walbran Park) 156. My right achilles/heel was still tender but not worsening, I’m seeing Janet on Monday.

5 comments:

MB said...

good luck with that achilles-ice helps :-)

Chris said...

That was like your best post probably, nice!

Regarding yesterdays run, I thought I might have ended up seeing you or Rumon or Finn for some reason. Oddly I saw like one runner, maybe two.

Next time, I am that way I will give a ring....

Paladin said...

if you don't mind me butting in here, i hope not rudely, a question... from someone just getting familiar... this beacon hill mile... is it round the hill, along dallas, up into the park, back down to dallas?

Michael said...

Don’t worry about the question, it could be argued that a positive reason to post would be, “encouraging discussion on a mutually enjoyable topic”. I don’t believe my running is that fast, or my life that interesting to entertain any other ideas.

Regarding the mile loop in Beacon Hill Park, there are two, the second being 0.01 of a mile longer (and hillier) but they do say variety is the spice of life.

#1 – recently I’ve been starting at the first crosswalk passed Heywood Way (running counterclockwise), stay on Circle Drive, left onto Douglas St., left onto Dallas Road, and then left again into the park. I this route is the faster of the two.

#2 – I start at the corner of Dallas and Circle Drive, again running counterclockwise, along Dallas, left down Cook Street (the start is fast), left on Park Blvd, left on Heywood Way, and left on Circle Drive to your start point. I use this loop if I’m doing multiple loops, i.e., 2-4 mile intervals, at a slower pace.

Love2Run said...

And a finish with a Highland Park (had to look it up) sounds like a great way to mellow out after a nice run.

Hard to tell who is pushing who when you get going with friends. My secret is to try to keep Andrew talking so that maybe he'll run out of breathe and slow down a bit!