Wednesday, January 24

Mr. Boombastic

Mr. Lover lover, Mr. Lover lover, girl, Mr. Lover lover
She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back
she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic

My apologies, but I was looking for a segue into my first topic, “songs you enjoy while running”. It was sunny today, given our recent weather I’d say almost balmy at 10C (50F), and as I was returning home from work I eagerly anticipated the run.

Once outside, I pressed play on the shuffle and turned right down the street. Ach, it always amazes me how fickle my enjoyment for certain tunes can be. What was going through my head when loading my recent batch for Sunday’s long run? And, why was Shaggy playing? What was I listening to, careful, some of this is embarrassing:

There Goes the Fear – The Doves
Day by Day – Doug and the Slugs
Hair of the Dog – Nazareth
Night Swimming – REM
Lose Yourself – Eminem
Atari Baby – Sigue Sihue Sputnik
Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
Old Time Rock and Roll – Bob Seger
Times like These – Jack Johnson
I’m Walking on Sunshine – Katrina & the Waves
Lola – The Kinks
Such Great Heights – The Postal Service
Damn I Wish I was Your Lover – Sophie B Hawkins
Mr. Boombastic – Shaggy
We Didn’t Start the Fire – Billy Joel
Sugarcane – Wide Mouth Mason

My question then, what is your favourite running tune? Onto more significant things, running. The jaunt was good and I had to keep reminding myself I was instructed to go EASY, 75’ EASY to be exact. Unfortunately, and I blame it on the Chinese food I had for dinner last night (and again for lunch) I had to cut the run short… upset stomach with an expiry date 5’ earlier then expected.

Training: an easy 1:10:17, AHR 130, MAX156. I got in to see Janet on Monday and she worked wonders on my legs. As my achilles has been acting up, I was aware of it, but it felt okay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rammstein and Rage against the machine would have to be my favorite running music. I can handle it when I'm riding as well. But, other than that I can't take it.

Chris said...

Long Tall Sally (Beatles)
Your Not the Ocean (The Hip)
Newer, melodic Red Hot CHili Peppers, like Californication or Zepher song.

I haven't run with music, until very recently.

So far, I think I will only like it on those super long runs.

rumon said...

I won't commit to this being my favourite, but "Valhalla" (feat. Sam Roberts) from the new k-os album got me through a particularly challenging long run a couple of weeks back. May have something to do with the fact it played 4 times in 2 hours which, given I have a 4-gig Nano makes clear the shuffle function is anything but random. Perhaps Apple is experimenting with AI and knew just what I needed on the day...

P.S. That is one of the most f'd playlists I have ever seen - you get full points for eclecticism.

Anonymous said...

you gotta mix it up a bit. The Sounds and some older Radiohead are an excellent start. Throw in a dash of drum and bass Beastie Boys (Bodhisattva Vow perhaps), and a pinch of Justin Timberlake's album, a bit of a guilty pleasure i must say. it's the perfect Shuffle medley.

dan frey,
nanaimo

Thomas said...

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, AC/DC, ... you get the picture.

I find that most of the time I don't even listen to the music. If I do it's usually a sign that I'm not really tuned into the effort.

Chris said...

Metallica...any time, anywhere.

Okay we are naming groups now?

Yup Metallica, Peppers, Sabbath and maybe some buckethead or Satriani for good guitar measure.

Beatles, Hip, Beck and Johnny Cash (beleive it or not).

Cranberries, Killers, Nine inch Nails...

Anonymous said...

Favorite running song at this particular moment:
Jambi by Tool

Eric said...

Nice run...my favorite song of the moment is Kissing Families by Silversun Pickups. An honorable mention goes to Munich by The Editors, and Everywhere You Turn by Longwave. I don't run with music, though sometimes I think I would like to. When I did in the past I would run too fast and do stupid things...get myself hurt.

Mike said...

I'll sheepishly admit to enjoying two bands while running that I can't really listen to otherwise-Yes and Asia. "Leaving" and "Time will Tell" all the way.

That being said, The Afghan Whigs' "Summer's Kiss" is our "Baba O'Reilly" and thus it rocks in a similar way on a run. "Sister Jack" by Spoon is a close second.