Monday, January 1

New Years Eve

Last night Ally and I went up to my old alma mater as the Runners of Compassion was hosting the 18th Annual Run Through Time up at UVic (5-k run, 3-k Walk and 1-k kids run). I’d participated once years earlier and was pleasantly surprised by the turnout given it’s a no frills event (no race numbers, nobody recording your time, just you and the road).

It was great seeing so many familiar faces before the race. My coach, Bruce, was even up there with his family, his first race after coming back from a year long injury. I picked Rob Reid out of the crowd and we agreed to run together as he’d also put in a 90’ effort that morning, but after leading the countdown and putting the bullhorn down once we’d reached “go” it was clear to see his idea of an easy jaunt and mine were vastly different. After a couple of minutes, I noticed my left achilles/ankle was sore so made sure to keep the pace comfortable.

It was fun being out there with a new crowd of runners, listening to shoes hit the pavement and the sound of their breathing. I was able to watch people jostling for position, throwing down that last minute surge at the finish line. After crossing the finish “area” I was surprised to see Ally with a smile beaming across her face as she’d evidently crossed the finish line about 50” before me.

My running for the week totaled 5:49:52 (approx. 82-k), a tad more then the 325’ I’d been instructed to do, but okay (as long as the achilles behaves).

Training: Run Through Time 5-k, no warm-up, 20:26.9, AHR 150.

No comments: