Saturday, January 13

I Feel Like I Don't Belong

Standing on the corner of Bay and Young (downtown Toronto) in my running kit while waiting for a bloody light to change, I felt like I didn't belong. Everyone was dressed up, like they'd just walked out of Holt Renfrew or Chanel, I've never felt so... naked. I don't know what it is about West Coast attire, perhaps it is because Victoria is substantially smaller, but the standard dress code is more more relaxed. Next time I'll be sure to sport some designer Adidas wear, right.

After having a few poor running experiences the last two days I was skeptical as I headed out this morning. I was supposed to do an easy 40', but as it is unlikely I'll be able to run tomorrow I opted for Sunday's run (an easy 90' to 120'). Unlike Jim, Saturday was my new Sunday.

It's cold here now. My sister said that today was one of the colder mornings this year, at -3C (with a windchill that registered -10C). I found this amusing as two years ago Ally & I were out at the same time and it was a bone chilling -30C.

I was out here this summer and managed to get out for a run so I was somewhat familiar with my surroundings. I went down Bay until I hit Mount Pleasant Road, turned left and then down onto a trail system that went for miles. My achillies was sore so I took it easy for the first 20'. I have no idea where I went but I did spend a portion of my time running through a massive cemetery.

Perhaps it was the slow start, the change of scenery or the fact that the sun was out but I felt good, relaxed. Once 50' had passed I decided to turn around, allowing time for me not being able to find the most direct route home.

In the end my path finding ability didn't let me down and I had just enough time to spin around a small trail network near a brick work factory. The run was great, just what I needed!

Training: a leisurely 1h44'32", AHR 139, MAX 152

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't belong. Time spent in Ontario is like a prison sentence.There is a lot more to not belonging than just the fashion. On the bright side a brief trip can make you appreciate just how lucky we really are to live in such a beautifal place.