Friday, January 5

Rainstorm

Enough… please.

Yup, we’re in the midst of yet another Pacific storm with wind and rain warnings posted, again.

Early this morning I headed out to take advantage of the dry conditions as the storm was supposed to hit this afternoon. My legs felt fine but my ankles seemed jammed/tight. The outside of my left heel has been acting up but I’ve been in for a massage and have been doing a few exercise which seem to be helping.

This evening I was supposed to get in a workout, 2x (15x 30” hard, 30’ easy) but as it had been raining solidly since 10:00 a.m., I opted to switch the workout with tomorrow’s 50’ run. Unless you live on a coast and have experienced relentless winter rains, any description I craft won’t do it justice. The weather channel mentioned, “gusts up to 90km/h and rainfall associated with the front to be significant through the evening, with amounts of 20 to 40mm over the South Coast and 40 to 60mm over parts of the Western Island”… we live on the southwest tip.

As Ally arrived home early from work, we decided to try a local recreation center only to discover everyone else had the same idea. So much for running on the treadmill, serves me right. I was determined to get a run in and planned to take the extended way home along the waterfront. I handed Ally my change of clothes and had one last swig of Gatorade only to have half the bottle spill down my front, an omen perhaps?

I headed out into the wind & rain, running alongside swollen streams (banks long since burst). It only took 10’ for the slurpee headache to set in, what was I doing? Usually when I run in adverse conditions or over difficult terrain, I tell myself it’s making me stronger, tonight I kept telling myself I was stupid.

Training:
A.M. 2x calisthenics, easy run through Beacon Hill Park & along the waterfront, it was not raining, 26:29, AHR, 135, MAX 147
P.M. a struggle through torrential wind and rain, 40:15, AHR 138 (76%), MAX 151 (82%)

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'm all too familiar with those conditions, and like you I'm rather sick of the weather. At the moment it's very windy without rain, but the next storm front will be here in a day or two.

This winter is relentless.