Wednesday, January 3

London Marathon, Strike 2

After talking with Bruce the other day, it looks as if my chances of running London in April are slipping away. Although I was not one of the lucky few who managed to get in through the lottery (damn), Bruce was optimistic that after talking with Bud (?) he might be able to get me in. No such luck.

A good friend of mine though, has gotten the nod from a prestigious running magazine to write an article concerning the London Marathon, which… we “might” be able to use as leverage (but I’m not about to reserve a hotel room yet).

This afternoon, shortly after 2:00, I headed out to join Jim on his warm-up, he was looking to do 6x mile at tempo (he
posts late, you’d best check tomorrow for his results). We discussed running plans for this spring with London, Boston and Ottawa thrown around. What is the shortest amount of time needed to recover from one marathon before doing another? If I did Boston in April, do you think I could recover and have a decent race in Ottawa 5 weeks later? Perhaps a more important question, given that I’m getting married in July, should I even be entertaining the idea?

Training: calisthenics x2, easy run with Jim before his workout, legs felt heavy, 38:43, AHR 136, MAX 154

Decent: [Latin decēns, decent-, present participle of decēre, to be fitting; see dek- in Indo-European roots.]

  • respectable; worthy: a decent runner.
  • adequate; fair; passable: a decent race, say +/-5% from your PB.
  • kind; obliging; generous: It was very decent of him to lend me his watch.
  • suitable; appropriate: He did not have a decent flat to race in.

3 comments:

MB said...

I am putting you down to run Boston sub-2:40!

Now get training it's only 15 weeks away.

Michael said...

That is the safe bet (me running Boston). 15 weeks eh?

I was talking it over with Ally last night and there is a chance I might run Ottawa 6 weeks after Boston, keeping a friend company.

Anonymous said...

I hope to see you at Boston.

A marathon and a marriage should be enough for this season. I canceled out on the La Luz trail race back when I got married. It was a good decision.