Monday, January 22

My Cross Canada Journey

I’ve been lucky enough to live in several provinces (Quebec, Ontario and BC) and one territory (NWT). I’ve spent a winter in Chiboubamau and was indirectly the cause of my older sister breaking her leg in Toronto. I raced dogsleds and learnt to play hockey in Yellowknife, and enjoyed salmon fishing, in all its West Coast finest, in Rivers Inlet.

While enjoying these experiences, they’ve only hardened my desire to drive across Canada. However, with two dreams (London in April, our marriage in July) materializing this year, I’m going to have to put this one on hold. Instead, I’ve elected to opt for another alternative, I’m going to run across Canada… virtually.

I’ve estimated the journey at around 6,800 km, and should I want to complete it this calendar year, will involve averaging slightly over 18 km/day. Unfortunately, 18 km/day isn’t realistic, and I’ll probably be finishing this time next year. Who knows, with Ally’s blessing, perhaps she’ll accompany me to Saint John’s and we can finish the journey down Fort Amherst Road together.

Over the last three weeks I’ve run approximately 297 kilometers which, starting in Victoria (and including the damn ferry crossing) would have me arriving soon arriving in Princeton.
__________________________________________________

The last seven days have been very exciting, what with discovering that I will be racing in the Flora London Marathon this year (and with friends to boot). Unfortunately, I’ll have to postpone my dream of racing Boston until next year.

I had a respectable week of running, coming off an unplanned down week. My left achilles has been sore but stretching and post-run ice seems to help. I also received a very painful but incredibly therapeutic massage from Janet this afternoon, which always works wonders. Total mileage for the week was around 71.6 (114.5 km) or 8ho1’17”. Here is how the week unfolded:

Monday: easy 26:30, AHR 130
Tuesday: 5xmile at Beacon Hill Park, 1:13:43, AHR 144
Wednesday: easy 56:48, legs felt heavy during the last 17’, AHR 132
Thursday: easy 1:10:39, AHR 130, achilles/heel still tender but not worsening
Friday: 10x hill circuit, 1:30:34, AHR 136
Saturday: easy 44:09 on the UVic trails
Sunday: steady 1:58:54, approx. 28.3 km, AHR 143, 6:46 pace/mi

Training for the marathon officially starts today, with a schedule day off… I love it! Until later then…

3 comments:

Chris said...

I look forward to watching your training program unfold for this Flora venture - good luck.
If you shall do any 20 milers at slower than 7 minutes per mile or part of at that pace I will be glad to join you.

MB said...

I had to switch you off my BM board. sorry, but good luck in London!

Michael said...

Mark, I understand, perhaps next year. Best of luck with the training.