Wednesday, January 10

I Miss the Warmth, but Love the Sunshine

We had an early start to the day (early by B.C. time, particularly considering we checked in at 11:30 p.m.) but I was able to get out for a run shortly after 10:30. The last time here (for the ING Marathon in May) it was +25C, while running at home yesterday it was +10C, and this morning (here, in Ottawa) it was -15C.

While spending seven formative years of my life in Yellowknife, I came to appreciate the finer points of living in the North, I’m desperately trying to remember them, and, if nothing else, the bear necessities:

  • When first walking outside, allow time for your teeth to adjust to the temperature before smiling;
  • Running with the wind at your back and the sun on your face is worth millions;
  • Running with the wind in your face and the sun nowhere to be seen is frightening;
  • Don’t lick the flag pole.

Despite the cold weather, or perhaps because of it, I was determined to get outside. Thankful for the Adidas jacket Carter had given me months earlier, I bundled up in all the cold weather gear I had, one layer at a time. After a quick chat with the concierge I was out the door, through the park, and out onto a frozen bike path that led me down to the river. I can’t pinpoint any particular highlight of the jaunt, however I loved every frozen moment from the invigoration I received while being out in bitterly cold weather with the faint warmth of the sun on my face to the historic route I traversed through the city and over into Quebec.

My hamstrings were tight from yesterdays run but that could also be attributed to the cold weather. My left achilles did act up at the end but on a good note I was happy to see that my toe has calmed down (occasionally ignorance is bliss).

Training: an easy chilly but sunny jaunt, 57:34

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

sounds like a nice run. If it's any consolation, it's a relatively chilly day here on the west coast: high today is supposed to be -1 deg/C...........