Sunday, January 7

Wet

wet (wět)
adj. wet·ter, wet·test

  1. Covered or soaked with a liquid, such as water.
  2. Not yet dry or firm: wet paint.
  3. Stored or preserved in liquid.
  4. Used or prepared with water or other liquids.

  5. a. Rainy, humid, or foggy: wet weather.
    b. Characterized by frequent or heavy precipitation: a wet climate.
  6. Informal Allowing the sale of alcoholic beverages: a wet county.
  7. Characterized by the use or presence of water or liquid reagents: wet chemistry.

In almost every sense, the word lived up to its name. With hindsight, perhaps I should’ve taken Jim up on his offer to run this morning, if only so I could’ve seen his face when he hit the water. Nevertheless, as it was pissing down when he called, I opted to wait as the conditions were supposed to improve (if you want a great laugh check out Jim’s entry, it had Ally & I in tears).


After two cups of coffee, I called Rumon who was more then happy to keep me company. The night before I had drafted up a route that takes in several of the city’s trail systems; Cedar Hill Golf Course, Mount Tolmie, UVic, Arbutus, Mystic Vale (see picture) and the Uplands Park. Unfortunately, I hadn’t taken into account the recent, and continued, rainfall but we persevered… with soaked shoes.

The run was relaxed and enjoyable, exactly what I was looking for in my effort to build up the mileage prior to training for Boston beginning. My hamstrings are tight now but that probably has more to do with my posture at the computer and a lack of stretching. I did notice yesterday that my 4th proximal phalange (the one beside your baby toe) on my right foot was sore, felt strained or broken… don’t know what that was about? It didn’t feel any better today but doesn’t a) hurt while running and b) seem to have gotten worse.

On I continue.

Training: a variety of wet muddy trails, road and hills, 1:49:17, AHR 137, MAX 155, 7:01 pace

5 comments:

Lawrence said...

A very solid long run. Good on you.

rumon said...

Man that run was good! I'm still reveling in it. Looking forward to the next one.

Sarah said...

Have you run Dublin before Michael? I cant really compare it to other marathon courses until I run more marathons, but in general, i liked it alot & hope to run it again this year (hope meaning I most certainly will unless im unlucky enough to get injured or the likes.) There was alot of support from the crowds too which helped me immensly & all the kids high fived us as we past. I hope Ally agrees as no matter what you think of the course even, there will most definately be high spirits in the pubs afterwards!
Congrats on your running anyway. I read some of your blog just then & saw your PR & its very impressive. Im only new to this game & though I seriously doubt I will ever catch up with you, its certainly inspiring to see runners such as yourself.

Thomas said...

Running in this weather is challenging, running on trails can be challenging, but running trails in this weather is something else. I've pretty much given up on trails this winter, the footing is just too treacherous. However, I do admire your perseverance.

Michael said...

Carter – thank YOU for keeping me company, you put me to shame out there. I’m looking forward to the next one, and many more, when I get back.

Sarah – No, unfortunately I haven’t had the privilege of running the Dublin Marathon yet. Having visited Ireland last September, running all around the country, and reading various reports I’m excited to run the marathon one day. This year might be out of the question, and if so, I’m looking to be there in 2008 (Ally has already promised me we can go back).

Thomas – I’m not sure running the trails given the recent weather was a smart thing, perhaps I’ll let things dry for a tad. Although not quite as unfortunate as Jim, we did return home soaked.